Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Mihaylov 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 18:49
    Martin Mihaylov

Umbraco v6, my first plugin

Hello, I am new user to Umraco and I am trying to cretae my first plugin. I was looking for some guide, how this should be done, but I couldn't find anything specific. There are some examples, related to older versions. 

What I want to create is the following.

I have my own DB with a table with products. I want to load them and list them in a Razor partial view. I would like to add some speicifici images(small icons) to each product and apply some custom styling to them. 

This user control can be used as a custom menu for example. 

Any idea how to do this?

• Robin 37 posts 109 karma points
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 10:06
    Robin

The way I do it: I created a web user control in visual studio, made my program (with database connection and everything I need, you can normally easily use the controls from asp.net) and then imported to Umbraco this way:

• the .ascx file (your usercontrol itself) you put in the folder 'usercontrols' in Umbraco
    • the .dll file you put in the bin folder of Umbraco
    • If that's done, you can easily create a macro in the backend of Umbraco, and that macro can be added to every page you want

Didn't find a better way, but it works well. If you use a program that supports nuget (ex. Visual Studio) you can easily import Umbraco to it, much easier to develop.

Hope this helps, I searched a lot before I found this (especially for the dll file)

-edit-

This is for version 4.11.3 but I think it will be something similar for V6

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Feb 28, 2013 @ 08:37
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

You can use a standard database technique to get the data from your database. It's just Razor or an MVC controller if you want to go that route. If you want tyo go the import way as Robin suggested You might want to check-out CMSImport http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport/

Hope this helps,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft