Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin Farrugia 22 posts 54 karma points
    Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:19
    Kevin Farrugia

MVC and Umbraco

Hi All,

Hope all is well, and firstly I would like to thank all the great minds behind the Umbraco project because I sincerely think it's a job well done!

When I first started working on Umbraco, there was no hype about MVC, it was a well known architecture, but not applied as rigourously as it might be nowadays, after the release of ASP.NET MVC 3.  Once MVC 3 was out, I started familiarizing myself with it (in a non-Umbraco environment) and couldn't wait for the release of Umbraco 5.  By the time I needed to develop a website using MVC & Umbraco, it was already reported that Umbraco 5 will no longer be supported and people were encouraged to stick to version 4.  Fair enough, however I was already in love with the MVC architecture and didn't want to go back, so I started reading about UmbraMVCo (http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/umbramvco) and another Rebel CMS (http://www.rebelcms.com/).  Unfortunately, I wasn't 100% with either of them, either because of my ignorance, lack of documentation or lack of community support.

This turned out to be a major headache, I downloaded the Umbraco source and started fooling around in there.  This turned out to be more complicated than I hoped, apart from the obvious fact that if Umbraco release a new update, I will have to migrate this update onto my 'fork'.  Eventually, I had this idea of developing a layer over and above Umbraco which will 'convert' Umbraco data & records into models.  These models could later be worked upon by your controller in the web application and eventually displayed in the view.

I understand that this solution has it's overheads as records are being retrieved and converted into objects (mongst other things) which could affect performance and it is not really a 100% MVC solution, however it works great for me, it's simple to understand, simple to extend and I haven't noticed any serious performance issues (admittedly I haven't implemented this on a massive scale).  And hopefully, with some input from the clever minds on these forums, these bumps could be flattened out.

I am currently writing a couple of blog posts on our website on how I have done this.  Today I have published the first blog post, the rest are to follow, eventually I will prepare a complete solution available for download, but I am still doing some fine tuning here and there as well as preparing an understandable documentation.

URL: MVC Umbraco

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or feedback (both positive or negative).

Thanks & regards,

Kevin

Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:21
    Kevin Farrugia

Also note that the first blog post had some introductory stuff about Umbraco (for non-umbraco users), so you may skip the first two-three paragraphs. ;)

Mar 28, 2013 @ 00:37
    Kevin Farrugia

If anyone is following, I have posted the second part to this blog on MVC Umbraco.  Also note that this is relevant to Umbraco v.4 not the latest version (i.e. v.6). Unfortunately I have not had the time to experiment with version 6, but once I switch to version 6, this will no longer be relevant.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft