Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eirik 25 posts 75 karma points
    Mar 05, 2013 @ 21:02
    Eirik

Best practice for developing and publishing .NET user controls

Hi group,

I just started developing .NET user controls for Umbraco and have some questions.

First of all I have production installation of the Umbraco which is working good.

Second, I have a local installation of Umbraco (copied from the production environment) and I've set it up with Visual Studio 2012. Its running great. I just started  to play around with .NET user controls by adding a user control to the umbraco project. I added the necessary modules, and just made a simple list of nodes from the current node (as in many examples). I added the ASCX in the backend-system, added the macro to a template and its running fine. So far so good. Now to my question. How to publish only this user control to the production (or any other) environments? Its the solution to copy the DLL for the main project, for example MyUmbracoProject.dll if the name of the project is MyUmbracoProject, and additionally copy the ASCS? By creating another project I can accomplish this task, but by using the nodefactory (and of course adding the necessary references) there will be no output because this is not an umbraco-project. Maybe I have misunderstood something, but I would highly appreciate if someone could point me somewhere.

Eirik

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:03
    Andreas Iseli

Well you have two choices, either deploying the files manually (DLL + ASCX) or creating a package. Be aware when creating a package that you should create incremental packages for updates to really deploy only those files you have changed since the latest release. I personally prefer this way instead of copying files because you then don't have to worry about elements stored in the database. Those are then updated as well.

• Eirik 25 posts 75 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 21:12
    Eirik

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. I was working a little bit more on this topic, and found (in my case) that the most easy way to publish changes in .NET user controls is to copy the DLL(for the project) and the user controls I changed (which means the ASCX-files) to the production server.

For the moment this works great, but I always make sure to run a backup before performing these steps :-)

Cheers,

Eirik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft