Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Haynie 20 posts 50 karma points
    May 21, 2013 @ 23:20
    Ben Haynie

Architectural questions for building a system on top of Umbraco, using Razor

Hello,

I would like to build a platform with various tools and add-ons on top of Umbraco.  The vision is that I would have Umbraco installed at various locations, who could in turn install various plug-ins and packages that would provide additional functionality while leveraging the benefits of Umbraco such as the CMS, security, blogging, and other features.  Each of the plug-ins/ packages I would provide would pull their data from a back end system that I would support.  I am planning on creating a set of WCF Services for each of these plug-ins which would allow for saving and retrieval to the back end system.

I would like to create these plug-ins/packages using Umbraco 6 to take advantage of the MVC Razor support.  My thought is that if I use Razor, an administrator might be able to change the cshtml files to fit custom scenarios without impacting future builds, customizing the view for a particular need (i.e. in one instance a control may need to be rendered as a table, in another it may need to be rendered as a set of div tags, etc).

I am, however, running into a bit of a stumbling block on deciding how to architect everything.

For the purpose of this example, I would like to work on creating a plug-in/package that would be a simplified News service (I know, there is already a News package in Umbraco, but I need a simple example).  I would need to have three or four controls.

1.      News Player – A control that is able to show 4-5 news items, and cycle through them using a pager.

2.      News Grid – A grid that shows all of the News Items, with the ability to page through past News Items and sort the Grid.

3.      News Administration – A control that allows an Administrator to enter new News Items, delete old News Items, etc.

4.      Configuration – A control for the Umbraco Backoffice which will allow me to set up the WCF configuration in the web.config to talk to the back-end system.

I believe I will create the Configuration Control using a traditional ASP.NET User Control for ease of use and simplicity.  Everything else, I figure I will create via MVC and Razor scripting.

I would like to be able to pass parameters into the News Player and News Grid controls.  These would be for things like, when rendering the News Player providing a link to where in the site the News Grid is located.  This way the News Player can have a link to the News Grid, and when the user is viewing the player, they can click a link to get to the Grid.  In addition, the News Grid and News Player should be passed a parameter on where the Administration page is located, so if the user has rights to view the Administration page they will have an option to click a link to get there.  In my mind, these controls will need to be Macros so we can pass a ContentPicker parameter, and the view would then use Umbraco’s code base to create a link to the other node, check security, etc.

As I have been working on this, I am stuck at a cross roads at how to architect this.

From what I understand, I can create my Surface Controllers one of two ways.

1.      Standard Surface Controller

If I create this as a standard Surface Controller, I would create the DLL, install it in the Bin folder, and create all of the Views (cshtml) via Umbraco’s interface.  It would allow me to have the Views be somewhere that an Administrator could alter them.  This way if they needed to change the grid from a table layout to a div layout, it could be done.

I have tested, this, and it seems to work.  I have the following code:

Controller:

public class NewsSurfaceController : SurfaceController
        {
            public ActionResult Index()
            {
                return Content("hello world");
            }

[ChildActionOnly]
            public ActionResult NewsPlayer()
            {
                return PartialView("NewsPlayer", new Models.NewsItem(0, "Hello from NEAT News"));
            }
        }

Model:

public class NewsItem
    {
    #region Constructor
    public NewsItem(int newsItemID, string title)
    {
    this.NewsItemID = newsItemID;
    this.Title = title;
    }
    #endregion
    #region Public Properties
    public int NewsItemID { get; set; }
    public string Title { get; set; }
    #endregion
    }

View (under Partial View Macro Files):

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<Centeva.GovAP.Plugins.News.Controls.Umbraco.Models.NewsItem>
    The name specified is here:
    <br />
    <strong>@Model.Title</strong>

Template:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage
    @Html.Action("NewsPlayer", "NewsSurface")

Everything works well.

However, when I try to turn it into a Macro and use the Macro in the template:

@Umbraco.RenderMacro("NewsPlayer", new {})

I generate an error:

Error loading Partial View script (file: ~/Views/MacroPartials/NewsPlayer.cshtml)

I believe it doesn’t like the Model that was passed in, it is as if it is by-passing the controller.

2.      Plug-in Surface Controller

The other way to do this is to create a Plug-In Surface Controller.  To do this, I simply add an attribute to the controller:

[PluginController("GovAP")]

Next I place the views in the appropriate area of the Umbraco site:

App_Plugin/<Area>/Views/<Controller>

The View seems much the same.

When calling the code from the Template, it would look something like this:

@Html.Action("NewsPlayer", "NewsSurface", new {area = "GovAP" })

This works fine.

The problem I see is that if I use the Plug-in approach, I don’t see an easy way to pass in variables via Macros.  I would like the user experience from Umbraco’s back office to be able to add a component, and simply have it pull up a drop down of all of the nodes in the site and select the node that has the Admin features for the control, or the Grid version of the control, etc.  With the Plug-in, I can’t see the ability to do this.

With the non-plugin approach, you can create a Package of all of the macro’s, scripts, etc.  That is great.  However, it seems that I am unable to actually create a macro, use the macro, or use parameters passed in with the Macro, with the view I create. Is this because I can not use a Custom Model with Macro’s?  What is the best way to set this up so an Administrator can use Umbraco to easily fill out these Parameters?

If I want the ability for the Admin to modify the views, am I best using Partial View Macro Files?  Would I be better off using a Plugin?

If I use Partial View Macro Files, can I use a Custom Model?  If not, what is the best way to gain access to my back end models?  Do I just make a call to my BLL using Razor, and access it that way?  If using a Custom Model, can I some how access Macro Parameters?  How is this best done?

If I am creating a package, is there any way I can privately deploy that package to my webserver, and have Umbraco check that server for an updated version?

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    May 23, 2013 @ 08:50
    Andreas Iseli

You can simply pass your macro parameter values in your macro view:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage

@{    Html.RenderAction("NewsPlayer", "News", new { newsId = Model.MacroParameters["newsId"] }); }

You must still extend your NewsPlayer action with a parameter:

[ChildActionOnly]
    publicActionResultNewsPlayer(string newsId)
    {
    returnPartialView("NewsPlayer",newModels.NewsItem(int.Parse(newsId),"Hello from NEAT News"));
    }

This is just a simple example, but may that help?

May 23, 2013 @ 16:29
    Ben Haynie

Thank you for the response.  It wasn't quite what I was looking for, in that I was hoping to have it be a Macro so that I could take advantage of Macro Properties in Umbraco, and allow the Administrators to interface with the views using a simple and powerful Gui.  For example, if I would like the Node ID of a different page passed into the View, I would like the use to do this via the Macro's properties, where there is a simple drop down for them, rather than having to know the Node ID and pass it in through the function call.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

May 23, 2013 @ 16:33
    Andreas Iseli

Do you mean creating an own data type (as dropdown) to use as macro property?

Creating an own data type is simple but I don't know how to create data types that can be used as macro property... 

May 24, 2013 @ 10:08
    Andreas Iseli

That one may help:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/40878-Umbraco-6-Custom-Macro-Param-Type-Broken

And then you can switch the configuration fetched from your macro property in the macro partial view loading different views depending on the selection.

May 24, 2013 @ 16:44
    Ben Haynie

Thank you for all of the responses.  I wonder if I am looking at this incorrectly.  My hope is to develop a solution that is as easy to use on the Administrative side as possible, without having to know Node ID's, or much coding to implement.  So I would like to build Macro's I can package and deploy for the end user.  These Macro's need to have parameters that the end user can configure.  For example, the Macro may have a parameter for an Administrative Page.  Currently there is already a way to do this in Umbraco (If I understand correctly), and if you choose this Parameter Type (I believe it is the content picker), the user will be shown a list of the sites nodes and they can select one.

My problem is that if I use the Model I created (by using this in the cshtml file:

@inheritsUmbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoViewPage<Centeva.GovAP.Plugins.News.Controls.Umbraco.Models.NewsItem>

I don't have access to this parameter.

I would like to have access to the parameter value so I can write some logic around it in the Macro.

I understand that I can create parameters via the Model and Controller, and that I can create my own Parameter Type in Umbraco, however having the user have to manually type out the Node ID (something that is obfuscated and may be difficult for them to find) may not be ideal.

I think I may be resigned to not create my own Models/Controller, and instead use Umbraco's views to make a direct call to my DLL to get my business objects, then interface with Umbraco's Model to get the stuff I need.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft