Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 12, 2013 @ 13:48
    Matt

Twitter for Umbraco Stopped Working

Umbraco 1.6.1Twitter for Umbraco 2.0Windows 8 / IIS 8Just wanted to point something out you may have heard about.  In the 'Twitter for Umbraco' notes it says v1.6 was upgraded to use twitter's new API.  However, my twitter feed stopped working sometime between yesterday and today.In this discussion https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/16289, they mention the REST 1.0 API was officially retired on June 11th, 2013.  When I look at a network trace of my page loading, I get this in response from twitter:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><errors>  <error code="68">The Twitter REST API v1 will soon stop functioning. Please migrate to API v1.1. https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/overview.</error></errors>The request looks like this:GET /1/statuses/usertimeline.xml?screenname=@OurCompany&includerts=true&excludereplies=1&include_entities=1&count=10 HTTP/1.1..Host: api.twitter.com..Connection: Keep-Alive....Am I missing something?  Or will there be an update for Twittier for Umbraco?  Thanks for any feedback.  Have a great day.

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2013 @ 14:35
    Stefan Kip
  • Carl Fraser 10 posts 40 karma points
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 09:13
    Carl Fraser

Hi

I have the same problem with this - our twitter feed stopped working a couple of days ago.

Don't really want to install a different package if I can help it - does anyone know if there is/is likely to be an update for Twitter for Umbraco?

Thanks

Carl

• Jan Bengtsson 64 posts 107 karma points
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 09:41
    Jan Bengtsson

Same here, too. In our case we don't mind install a different package, but - as pointed out in this thread - uTwit does not work below Umbraco 4.8. So we seem to be stuck with our 4.7.1.1 and 4.7.0 sites since Twitter for Umbraco does not support the new Twitter API and uTwit does not support older Umbraco versions.

Is it possible that we can expect the needed updates (or detailed update instructions) for Twitter for Umbraco or uTwit within shortly?

Regards
    /Jan 

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 10:16
    Dave Woestenborghs

As I look at the error message in the first post I see this error : "REST 1.0 API was officially retired on June 11th, 2013."

It seems that the API used byt this package doesn't work anymore. Package needs to be updated.

If you don't want to wait until the package creator does this you can find the source here : http://twitter4umbraco.codeplex.com/

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 10:55
    Stefan Kip

It's not easy to upgrade the API version to 1.1.

Version 1.1 of the Twitter API requires authentication for each request, so you'll need a Twitter API application and keys + request signing etc. That's why I'd suggest to switch to uTwit, because it's all taken care of.
    If that means you need to upgrade umbraco, it's just a good excuse to do so ;-) 

Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:17
    Jan Bengtsson

Kipusoep,

Upgrading to a later version of Umbraco is unfortunately not an option in our case. At least not for the moment, our sites are just too big.

However, the man behind uTwit - a package intended for Umbraco 4.8 and later, that works with the new Twitter API - claims that it's possible to adapt his package to older Umbraco versions:

"uTwit makes use of some base classes that were introduced when MNTP was merged into core in 4.8 (Namely AbstractJsonPrevalueEditor). It is entirely possible to make uTwit work for earlier versions by copying this and any associated elements into the package..."

See this thread.

But as is evident from other posts in the thread, it is no easy thing to make this adaption. So, if someone has succeeded, we - and probably many others these days - would be very grateful for some detailed guidelines.

Regards
    /Jan

• Nick Garrard & Davy Belmans 25 posts 142 karma points
    Jun 18, 2013 @ 10:11
    Nick Garrard & Davy Belmans

We had the same problem with the new Twitter api, and developed our own package: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/utweets . For one of our clients we installed in on umbraco 4.7.0.

Jun 20, 2013 @ 09:41
    Jan Bengtsson

I've tried uTweets on a 4.7.1.1 site (where Twitter for Umbraco stopped working) and it works great. Good job, guys! Many thanks for making it available.
    /Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft