Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil Marshall 10 posts 63 karma points
    Sep 23, 2009 @ 12:42
    Neil Marshall

Updatepanel within Tabview (error Cannot unregister UpdatePanel with ID)

Hi,

I've created a new section within the Umbraco backend to cope with a specific piece of business functionality. The fact that this can be done in Umbraco is fantastic for a start!

The examples I've seen of adding a new section to umbraco include the code to allow a TabView control to be added to a page within the new section. In an override of OnInit() you then set the Tab page's heading text and assign a Pane to become the Tab page's content.

Example here: http://www.nibble.be/?p=71

This all works fine and the page appears correctly. Errors start to happen when you try to include an UpdatePanel within one of the pages of a TabView. I end up with an error:

"Cannot unregister UpdatePanel with ID 'UpdatePanel1' since it was not registered with the ScriptManager. This might occur if the UpdatePanel was removed from the control tree and later added again, which is not supported.
    Parameter name: updatePanel"

Removing the TabView set-up from the page corrects this however the page then doesn't confirm to the standard look of an Umbraco backend page.

Other strange things also happen to Gridviews. When trying to update a row of data in a gridview that is in edit mode, the RowUpdating and RowUpdated events never fire. Removing the TabView corrects this.

I'm really looking for another way of setting up the TabView control correctly without causing these problems. Presumably this is happening because the page's structure is effectively being re-built which perhaps the viewstate can't cope with (or something to do with the TabView being set-up in the OnInit method)?

Sorry if I've missed something really obvious!

Thanks,

Neil.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 10:31
  • Henrik 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 05, 2010 @ 11:42
    Henrik

I have a sample project for this problem.
    It' shows tabcontainer and updatepanel working together.
    See if it helps you.

http://blogg.pixcode.se/post/Working-with-ajax-tabContainer-and-ajax-updatepanel.aspx

• Kurniawan Kurniawan 202 posts 225 karma points
    Dec 09, 2010 @ 05:08
    Kurniawan Kurniawan

Hi,

I also get this problem.

I have an update panel inside this tab view. What should I do to fix this ?

Thanks for your help.

• fontanka16 24 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 04, 2012 @ 12:25
    fontanka16

I get a 404 error when trying to download the example from http://www.pixcode.se/download/tabContainerSample.zip. And the reference in the blogpost is not very clear on how to solve it in a elegant way. Is reflection the only way to reregister the updatepanel?

• Erik 18 posts 39 karma points
    Oct 30, 2012 @ 19:33
    Erik

I had this issue today where I had a aspx with a TabView and a usercontrol on it. I would add the usercontrol to it in the codebehind which was causing the issue. The fix was to not place the user control on the aspx but to use LoadControl() in the codebehind to create the usercontrol and to then add it to the tabview.

• Anthony Barsotti 26 posts 66 karma points
    Feb 20, 2014 @ 01:23
    Anthony Barsotti

Was anyone ever able to resolve this issue? I too am receiving this exact error when I try to include an gridview within an update panel on a tabview. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft