Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rubinho 30 posts 218 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:58
    Rubinho

Remove Folder or DocumentType from URL path

Hi,

For a travelwebsite, i have a contenttree like this:
    /Countries/MyCountryName/Cities/MyCityName/ (and some other subcontent)
    /Countries/MyCountryName/Trips/MyTripTitle/ (and some other subcontent)

The Nodes Cities and Trips can contain many subnodes in larger countries.
    The URL for these pages are (Root not included):
    /MyCountryName/Cities/MyCityName
    /MyCountryName/Trips/MyTripTitle

What i really want is to remove the word "Cities" and to remove the word "Trips" from the URL.
    I need it in the content to keep it clean and clear, but i don't want it in the URL.

Is there a way to create the url automatically to these without changing the contenttree?
    /MyCountryName/MyCityName
    /MyCountryName/MyTripName
    There will never be double URL's because a tripname is never a cityname, and if it is, than so be it (someone should change the tripname in that case)

Many Thanks

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 15:21
    Andy Butland

Here's a post from a few years ago... but as far as I know should still work using the "umbracoUrlAlias" property.

Jul 23, 2013 @ 16:59
    Rubinho

Thanks Andy,

I read a similar post yesterday and did some tests with it, but there are 2 issues for me if i use this:
    - Needs to be done automatically (dummy user proof) (but maybe i can autogenerate this value)
    - It creates duplicate content. It should give a 301 response if someone gets access to the old/invalid url

If there's no other solution, i'll give this a try. But then i need to extend the url rewriter to answer with a 301 on the original URL.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 22:57
    Funka!

If you are on version 6.1 or above, you should look into a "ContentFinder" which sounds like it might do what you want. The challenge you might have is without knowing whether the Url segment (e.g., MyCityName or MyTripName) lives inside the "Cities" or "Trips" node, you probably won't be able to easily use Url Rewriting to send you along to the correct place, and would need to programatically search for the desired node by recursing both branches.  (You would also want to make sure you never have both a City and a Trip that have the same node name, or else one would be unreachable.)

If you're not on 6.1 or a ContentFinder doesn't work for you, I suppose you could have UrlRewriter convert the path parts and send you to an underlying page such as /getPageByCityOrTripName.aspx?country=myCountryName&slug=MyCityName, which would be a programmatic page that does the node querying mentioned above and can then either display the correct page from there, or else could return a 404. With the UrlRewriting, your URL would remain nice and clean and people wouldn't have to see this ugliness behind the scenes.

Best of luck to you!

Jul 25, 2013 @ 18:21
    Rubinho

Thank you Funka, it's what it thought i have to do

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft