Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam 11 posts 31 karma points
    Oct 14, 2009 @ 16:35
    Sam

User Authenication

Dear All,

I am linking the Umbraco CMS with a CRM system with online modules. Now all the online authenication is taken care of by the CRM system and it provides a .asp file where I can add code so it can be used to authenicate against umbraco.

Basically I need to make a member's area where I will have two generic users with two groups - registered users and members.  Is there any standard package available for umbraco where I can pass on the authenication via url i.e. login.aspx?username=visitor&password=sambob so then the user can move between the CRM online pages and umbraco (restricted) member's pages in the one session??

Regards,

Sam

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 14, 2009 @ 17:24
    Chris Dunn

It's never a good idea to pass a password (no pun intended) in the url especially in clear text.  If you must pass it in the url perhaps combine the username/pass and encrypt the value and then decode within the login page.   Or better yet, simply validate in the CRM and pass an encrypted value to indicate user has been authenticated and which user, and then the other system simply validates the user exists and logs them in.

Or maybe try good old cookies.

Just my 2cents :)

-Chris

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 03:48
    Nik Wahlberg

Definately take a look at doing some base64 encoding on these strings if this is how you're intending on working the "single sign-on". Best case scenario is creating a handshake between the systems so that you have validate the user on both ends, then pass back a token (like Chris suggests) that validates the user and sets the session appropriately on the Umbraco end. Should be relatively simple to do assuming you have access to the API of the CRM.

Happy coding.

• Sam 11 posts 31 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 18:30
    Sam

Hi Nik or Chris,

Would either of you being happy to assist me with this?  Happy to talk about costs with you as it seems relatively simple for you but not me!! I am relatively new with Umbraco. My Email is sam [AT] at hostbyte dot com

Regards,

Sam

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 11:10
    atze187

Hi Sam,

which CRM system are you using? Me and my office mate are currently relaunching our website with contact forms, newsletter signup and stuff that needs to be written to Microsoft CRM. We use the MS CRM web service interface to write to and read from CRM, so there is no hopping between pages served by CRM and pages served by umbraco. It's great, fast and quite secure (at least the web service interface of MS CRM is cool, MS CRM itself sucks).

Cheers,
    André

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft