Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• glenatron 37 posts 132 karma points
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 13:45
    glenatron

Creating custom upload datatype- what is the current practice?

I need ( rather urgently ) to get a custom upload datatype built, but I can't work out how to do it. The custom media datatype howto suggests that I should be able to base it on the content of umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype and just take things from there. But when I look at the existing datatype code for some guidance I see a lot of comments saying [Obsolete("This class is no longer used and will be removed from the codebase in the future.")] which suggests that using datatypes is not current practice.

Then there are a few recommendations around creating a custom FileMediaFactory for specific filetypes ( which would be a viable alternative in my situation ) but when I look at FileMediaFactory in the source code it says [Obsolete("This is no longer used and will be removed from the codebase in future versions")].

So I'm starting to get very confused by this point. What do I need to do to create a custom upload data type in Umbraco 6.1.6?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 15, 2013 @ 21:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Sorry that we've not been great at updating those messages. For v6 it will mean that the classes will be there until at least v7 as we follow SemVer as much as possible and don't introduce breaking changes in anything but major versions.

So, feel free to use those classes, they will be there for a while to come (and in fact both classes are still there in v7 so they won't be removed until v8).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft