Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Brown 125 posts 290 karma points
    Feb 13, 2014 @ 15:40
    Steve Brown

extending the dashboard

I'm using umbraco 6.1.6, and I'm trying to extend the dashboard with a couple custom user controls. I created a simple Web Forms user control with code behind file. I put my compiled dll in the bin folder. I put my user control in /umbraco/dashboard/

I edited my dashboard.config file to add a new tab with my user control, per the documentation found here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/dashboardconfig

In the back office, my user control renders when I click my newly created tab. However, when I fill out my form and click my submit button, nothing happens. It's like the form doesn't postback.

I have noticed if I put another control like a checkbox on the form and set it to AutoPostBack, then the form performs a postback. But clicking a submit button does not cause postback. Any guidance would be appreciated, on how I get the click event for the button to work.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 13, 2014 @ 15:45
    Jeroen Breuer

Hmm that should work. Do you have an onclick event on the button to the method in your code behind?

Jeroen

Feb 13, 2014 @ 15:46
    Steve Brown

Yes, I triple checked it to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Feb 13, 2014 @ 15:52
    Jeroen Breuer

Do you get some kind of error in the console log? The onclick method probably works, but if it doesn't post that will never get hit. Perhaps javascript somehow prevents it.

Jeroen

Feb 13, 2014 @ 16:38
    Steve Brown

There's nothing in the umbraco trace log about it. Where do I find the console log? I'm not familiar with that.

Feb 13, 2014 @ 16:39
    Steve Brown

I've even tried making a new form, a simple "hello world" form that when I click a button it's supposed to change the text of a label. nothing happens on click.

Feb 13, 2014 @ 16:43
    Jeroen Breuer

I just mean the console log of the browser. For example with Chrome: https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/docs/console

Jeroen

Feb 13, 2014 @ 21:11
    Steve Brown

I just tried in the chrome and internet explorer consoles. There is nothing going on client side that is getting logged in a browser console when I click the button.

Feb 14, 2014 @ 16:57
    Steve Brown

Any other ideas to try? Where is the template located for dashboard items? I want to check the form tags and everything to make sure those are ok.

Feb 17, 2014 @ 12:07
    Jeroen Breuer

Sorry I don't really know what could be the problem. You could download the Umbraco source code to see where the dashboard page is created.

Jeroen

Jun 25, 2014 @ 19:03
    Steve Brown

I finally figured this out. I initially had been putting my usercontrols in the /umbraco/dashboard directory. I moved them to /usercontrols directory and everything works fine.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft