Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Niclas Schumacher 67 posts 87 karma points
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:08
    Niclas Schumacher

Examine / Lucene Special Characters

Hello! 

I've build a search functionality, but yesterday i came across a some bad behavoir when when using special characters. I searched the web, and found that the QueryParser could escape the queries for me, but its not working as expected.

I use a combo of Examine and Lucene, but at the end , i give my searcher the raw query, so examine handles the search. 
    First i escape the query with Lucene Query Parser, then divide the query into a list of terms, but when i it gets through my MultiFieldQueryParser the terms with specialchars losses the \\ (\\-). 
    buttom line is, the search dosn't handle specialchars, and especially not if they are the only char in the term (ex . where is the - fish). I'm not sure if it's because i use fuzzy or whatever.. 

when using cogworks examine inspector, it seems, if the searchterm is ean-numre, it strips the - and ends up with "ean numre" - is this the approch ?

Hopefully someone can help me out. 

-Niclas Schumacher

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:14
    Ismail Mayat

Niclas,

In examine inspector I do not clean up the query string I just run through queryparser and that cleans it up. Additionally i would check your index i think during the indexing process standard analyser will strip out speacial chars so do a search using examine inspector for ean or numre and see what you get I am certain if wont have - in the field.

Regards

Ismail

• Niclas Schumacher 67 posts 87 karma points
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:25
    Niclas Schumacher

@Ismail -  in the inspector i seems like it does have - in it, ean-numre. But it seems like that the analyzer converts ean-numre, to "ean numre" which actually gives me the right docs. 
    Same goes if i specificly have my searchQuery look like : "ean-numre" i find the right ones. But not if i have ean-numre without " " ..

Can't seem to figure out how to work around this, i thought the analyzer would do that for me.

For the record, the external Analyzer uses Standard analyzer right ? 

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:04
    Ismail Mayat

Niclas,

Without the quotes and - it would be doing an or with quotes its phrase query both should work. The external analyser is standard.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft