Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 01:27
    Mark Olbert

Building Umbraco 4.0.2.1

It does not seem possible to build Umbraco 4.0.2.1 for anything other than ASPNET 3.5 (this is based on downloading the source code and trying to rebuild the system within VS 2008). Is that correct? Targeting ASPNET 2 causes a problem because System.Web.Extensions.Design can't be referenced.

The reason this may be important is that I am currently running into oddball problems getting my umbraco site, which runs fine on a development server using ASPNET 3.5, to run properly on a hosted site. Yet if I do a clean install onto the hosted site Umbraco runs fine there, too. I think the "incompatibilities" between ASPNET 2 and ASPNET 3.5 are causing me problems when I upload DLLs compiled for the newer target onto the hosting company's server.

As to why I'm rebuilding Umbraco: there's a bug in how 4.0.2.1 handles password recovery using the UmbracoMembershipProvider. Basically, password recovery doesn't work in the distributed code, because the encrypted password is not decrypted before being returned by the recovery method. I've submitted the bug on codeplex, but it hasn't been addressed yet :).

Put another way, can someone explain to me how to rebuild Umbraco targeting ASPNET 2? I might be able to rebuild the binaries for the older target, upload them to the hosting company, and fix my problem.

- Mark

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 14:25
    Chris Koiak

Do you need to install the ASP.NET extensions on your development machine?

Oct 30, 2009 @ 15:50
    Mark Olbert

No, according to the hosting company they include the extensions when you select "ASPNET 2". In fact, they say that selecting ASPNET 2 actually gets you ASPNET 3.5.

- Mark

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 16:09
    Chris Koiak

I meant on your local machine... when you're trying to rebuild Umbraco... do you have the extensions installed?

Oct 30, 2009 @ 16:41
    Mark Olbert

Yes, I do.

- Mark

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 21:58
  • Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 01, 2009 @ 02:03
    Aaron Powell

v4.0.2.1 was compiled against the ASP.NET AJAX v1 extensions. You need to make sure that those are installed before it'll compile.

.NET 3.5 brought in updated assemblies which are the same name, as they were included into the .NET framework rather than as a separate install.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft