Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joshua Holmes 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 25, 2014 @ 17:16
    Joshua Holmes

Deploying Custom Controller

I am learning to work with Umbraco.. Needless to say it's pretty awesome, but I think there are some things left out of docs and videos, things that I think people are taking for granted lol...

1) Once I build my new controllers locally in my project and it's working fine, how do I deploy these to my live version of Umbraco?  Am I really supposed to copy my entire installation live?  

2) The current controllers I have made, once compiled give me <nameOfProject>.dll, can I just place this into the bin folder?

3) The directory that umbraco is installed into /root  has it's own bin folder, but docs keep refererring to the umbraco bin folder, which /umbraco/bin doesn't exist, do I need to create it or are they actually referencing the root project bin folder?

4) I've seen talk of the App_Plugins directory, but if I am not making this controller via plugin, can I just place the .cs class in App_Code?

I realize for those who use Umbraco a lot these seem silly  :-)   But docs and videos don't talk about these things, they all show you how to build this crap, and then even debug, but NO BODY is showing how to deploy and my brain is starting to get visits from the angry spirits lol

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 25, 2014 @ 17:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Joshua and welcome to our :)

What version of Umbraco are you using?

When you're building your controls you should simply place the .dll files in the /bin folder and you can place .cs files in the App_Code folder.

App_Plugins are meant for Property Editors in Umbraco v7, which are based on angularjs.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft