Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 16:44
    Mark Olbert

Getting Umbraco to Recognize Revised DLL

I've been creating various master pages for my site that contain custom logic.

I've found that uploading revised DLLs to my site's bin directory at my hosting service (www.softsyshosting.com) doesn't cause Umbraco to "see"/reload the changed DLL.

The only workaround I've found so far is to re-upload the web.config file, which resets the "full trust" permission Umbraco requires. Having the hosting company re-establish full trust seems to cause Umbraco to rescan the bin directory. But it's an ugly solution, not to mention being a pain in the butt :).

BTW, I've tried simply starting and restarting the website through the hosting company's online control panel, but that doesn't do the trick.

What's a better way to force Umbraco to rescan the bin directory?

- Mark

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 17:35
    Thomas Höhler

Do you have access to the application pools? if so you can restart the app pool this will bring umbraco to reload the whole app and also to reflect the bin bin folder

hth, Thomas

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Oct 30, 2009 @ 21:52
    Stephan Lonntorp

If your hosting company provides an administration interface, like plesk, you could simply edit web.config (or "touch" it, by simpy resaving it), that should leave any permissions intact.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 01, 2009 @ 01:54
    Aaron Powell

Modifying the /bin folder will force IIS to restart the application pool. You'll know if it did as your site will be slow for first request.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft