Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 05:51
    Mark Olbert

Can't Create Template

This is a hair puller. When I try to create a template, I get the following error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.get_MasterPageFile() +104
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.getMasterPageContent() +14
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.setupTemplate() +179
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.template.Template.GetAllAsList() +223
    umbraco.cms.presentation.settings.editTemplate.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +155
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
    umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

By way of background, I'm trying to create a template in a site which >>used<< to have templates. However, either I accidentally deleted all of them, or something went wrong when my hosting company installed an SSL certificate for the site.

What's weird (to me, at least) is that I can look in the SqlServer table that holds the template definitions and see all of the original templates still present, as well as their definitions. And I can look in the masterpages folder and see all of the original templates still present there, too.

But so far as the backoffice is concerned, there are no templates. And I'm not allowed to create any new ones :).

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how to fix this? Can someone point me to documentation for the database tables? Maybe there's a relation linked to the template table that got munged.

If I have to I'll just blow away the site and restore it from my development server. But I'd really like to know what happened so I can avoid having it happen again. It's not good when content disappears and new content cannot be created!

- Mark

• Immo Wache 69 posts 224 karma points
    Nov 03, 2009 @ 22:29
    Immo Wache

Hi Mark,

this is the code line where it crashes and I can not see any reason why it should in a normal umb installation:

public string MasterPageFile
    {
        get { return GlobalSettings.FullpathToRoot + "masterpages"
    + System.IO.Path.DirectorySeparatorChar + Alias.Replace(" ", "") + ".master"; }
    }

FullpathToRoot and DirectorySeparatorChar strings come from .net system and Alias string is the Template name you just entered to create. I assume this Alias string is null which would produce your exception.

I guess there are some more files modified/removed for your umb installation, so I would recommend to restore all from your dev server.

If you really want to know whats wrong/missing you can download your current damaged installation and try it to set up on your local pc and use VS to debug ist. But I don't expect it is worth the effort.

Immo

• caroen 1 post 22 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 04:06
    caroen

Hi, i had this problem too, I accidently made 2 duplicate template types, what i did was i manually deleted the duplicate entry in the database table cmsDocumentType, but i failed to realize at first is that you have to remove it from umbracoNode aswell.

Hope this helps :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft