Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ross Ekberg 124 posts 364 karma points
    Jun 13, 2014 @ 16:00
    Ross Ekberg

New Section User Control Database Connection Issue

I created a new section and a new user control for it.  The user control connects to a different database server than the Umbraco database.  I know the connection string is correct as I am able to connect during testing.  I also know the user has correct permissions as I am able to use the user contro properly during testing.  If I move the table from the remote server to the Umbraco server/database, the user control works fine in Umbraco.  The remote server connection contains an instance name.  Here is the error I get when trying to connect to the remote server through Umbraco. 

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I have verified that the instance name is correct and that the SQL server is configured to allow remote connections.I guess I have two questions.  Is Umbraco capable of connecting to remote db servers?  I am pretty sure it can, but I thought I would ask.  Second, is Umbraco capable of connecting to database instances? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2014 @ 18:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ross

Are you still struggling with this issue?

Usually when I see this error it's because of some VPN issues or some firewall issues - perhaps the attempt to connect is rejected by the firewall due to the IP not being white listed? Or perhaps you're on a VPN connection that messes things up?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Ross Ekberg 124 posts 364 karma points
    Jun 20, 2014 @ 21:38
    Ross Ekberg

Hi Jan,

I appreciate the response.  This is an interesting idea.  My initial thought is that it wouldn't be a frewall related issue, since we host both the web server and database server.  However, I don't exactly know what is going on.  When I am doing testing, it is from my local PC.  When connecting through Umbraco, it may be trying to do so through our external IP rather than our Internal one.  I suppose there could be an issue there.  I will look into this. 

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft