Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shannon 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 07:10
    Shannon

Creating a umbraco product ( commercial extensions) based on asp.net mvc and sharp architecture

My friend and I are going to create a commercial umbraco extension. Since umbraco 5 will go mvc, as we read, we're thinking of using mvc and sharp architecture. Our plan is to create it as a standard alone asp.net mvc application first and then make it an umbraco exension. Can anybody tell us whether this is feasible or provide us with a better idea? Many thanks for any input.

Nov 23, 2009 @ 07:14
    Shannon

Just a little information about our background. We've been using nHibernate and castle for years, but are pretty new to umbraco and mvc.

• SaphuA 124 posts 87 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 08:32
    SaphuA

Well, if you set up things correctly it should (in theory) not be too difficult to replace your View with one that recides in Umbraco.

You would also want to use dependency injection so you can change your dal to 'Linq to Umbraco' later.

Obviously it would all depend on how well Umbraco 5 will be extendable, but I think the Umbraco folks will do a great job at that.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 10:40
    Niels Hartvig

Be aware that Umbraco 5 is likely to be at least a year from now to be a stable release.

Nov 24, 2009 @ 17:20
    Shannon

Thanks guys. Am I right on that umbraco 5 will be based on sharp architecture?

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 17:45
    Chris McVittie

have a look at this post - basic proof of concept discussion for hooking into asp.net mvc with existing umbraco - not sure what the intricacies of serious extensions could do - might rule out some of this - also this proof was only for front-end mvc, not controllers in a back-end section.

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst5106_Using-ASPNET-MVC-with-Umbraco.aspx

I don't know whether umbraco 5 will be based on Sharp Architecture or not, but this probably shouldn't affect your decision either way, you might just adding sharp architecture plumbing into the umbraco application rather than the mvcapplication directly.

And yes, I think Sharp Arch is a pretty good idea - depending on what you're doing, the enforced opinions can be a little bit restrictive, but for a sizeable project, this is no bad thing.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 22:47
    Aaron Powell

It's too early to say whether it'll be based on Sharp Architecture or not.

• Jakob 38 posts 54 karma points
    Jan 30, 2010 @ 11:50
    Jakob

What's the current status on hooking up Umbraco V4 with MVC. I get that it's possible, but have any one seen sites built that way, and are there blog examples describing how to place a view in a template with the controller and model working?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft