Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mayank 14 posts 44 karma points
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 16:50
    Mayank

Excel Upload to import data

Hi,

We plan to develop a new project using Umbraco

We have large amount data available in excel sheets. And, one of the main requirement for this project is to import this data from the excel to the media as it is structured.

Example data format in excel:

Country -> State -> City -> Categories -> Products -> Price

Country -> State -> City -> Distributor

Also, going forward, when this data is to be updated. User will update data in excel sheet and upload revised excel sheet.

Also, we want to give access roles to user, so that the Country manager can update details specific for his country only.

As I understand Umbraco is page based CMS. Hence, please suggest me if this can be accomplished with Umbraco.

If yes, please guide me with basic idea how can it be done.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 17:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mayank and welcome to our :)

You could perhaps use CMSImport for this - it's a commercial package for Umbraco, which allows you to import data into Umbraco from different data sources.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 19:22
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

As Jan mentioned you can use CMSimport for that. The requirement per manager is not supported out of the box but you can specify scheduled tasks or something like that so people can put their excel sheets in different folders. The structured imports works as you mentioned. I've recorded some video's that describe the scenario also works in the latest versions of Umbraco http://soetemansoftware.nl/cmsimport/videos

I hope CMSImport can help you.

Best,

Richard

Jan 15, 2015 @ 09:22
    Mayank

Hi,

Thanks Jan / Richard for your quick response,

I looked at CMSimport plugin, this allows to import data from data source to content section by mapping it to document type for which it then creates nodes /pages. i.e. for every Country -> State -> City -> Categories -> Sub Category -> Product (which will contain properties) it will create a node.

Rather then doing this our requirement is to map data with Media Type & create nodes under Media Section as we don't desire content nodes/pages for these structure.

We will be using razor to fetch data from media nodes as and when required.

I think this will help gain control over access levels for each country manager. As it will have its media node where he can import data.

This is my understanding please correct me if i am wrong, as we are open for suggestions such that data is been taken in the Umbraco other then content section.

Jan 15, 2015 @ 09:32
    Richard Soeteman

I don't get it I think. The items you want to import is Content IMO why use a media type for that, only to get it out of the root structure for some people? You can set access on content nodes as well. And an item in content doesn't have to be a page, it could also be data you want to loop over.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 15, 2015 @ 10:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mayank

Like Richard I'm not sure I get it either - Content should be stored in the "Content" section. Not media unless it's related to a certain media type.

But since it seems like it's product content you need to import then you could setup a specific "product" node where you can restrict access to country managers.

However it might even be better to create your own section for managing products perhaps. But using the "Media" section is not the way to go as I understand your challenge currently.

/Jan

Jan 17, 2015 @ 10:20
    Mayank

Hi ,

We have came to this point as we have designed content structure in this way to accomplish navigation, best user experience & url structure.

root ->country ->language->brands->category-> subcategory ->product followed by product pages.

But for Some sections in the site we require 

Country - > State -> City -> City specific data for products

Thus was planning to make this using media Type in media section & map it with content.

Do you suggest me to restructure the content section ?

Jan 17, 2015 @ 13:25
    Richard Soeteman

I would suggest you create a different rootnode called data and store the exact same structure as you would have done in the media section. Then you have the navigation in the root site and you can query the data like you would have done in the media library.

Hope this make sense.

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft