Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Jan 23, 2010 @ 20:53
    jaygreasley

eCommerce requirement question

Hey,

I have a proposal for an events booking system to respond to that requires an ecomm solution that will only charge the credit cards when the event has reached a minimum number of purchasers. Has anyone done this? Did you create it from scratch or use one of the existing packages?

TIA

Jay

• Thomas Vestergaard 52 posts 138 karma points
    Jan 24, 2010 @ 12:30
    Thomas Vestergaard

I have made something simalar, and I did it from scratch.

You probably want to reserve money on the credit card until the administrators decide to "release" the event. If you do not have the option to reserve the money on the credit card, then you may have to save the users credit card information... The latter requires a lot from your servers and your hosting facility due to VISA requirements.

/Thomas

Jan 24, 2010 @ 12:37
    jaygreasley

Hey Thomas,

Thanks that makes sense. It's quite a large project and I think I'd use uCommerce or similar for the bulk of the work but I'd need to custom code this and a couple of other requirements. Once the event is released did you automatically process all outstanding payments or did the system do it automatically?

Presumably you used some kind of scheduled task or event handler to do this.

Cheers

Jay

• Thomas Vestergaard 52 posts 138 karma points
    Jan 24, 2010 @ 14:09
    Thomas Vestergaard

Hey Jay

No in my case a human administrator looked through the events manually, and pressed a "draw money" button if nessecary. But I guess in your case, a scheduled task may work very well.

Sure you can use uCommerce at this. I've made several uCommerce sites already. However, if your scheduled task is to process a buch of orders at once, you might need to make some SQL your self to pick out those orders, rather than using the uCommerce API... uCommerce has some performance issues when selecting more orders or more items at once.

They are aware of the issue, and I think it's in top of the priority list.

/Thomas

Jan 24, 2010 @ 17:28
    jaygreasley

Cheers Thomas,

The client is thinking of using Paypal or Google checkout. I'm going to look at uCommerce as they want CMS functionality as well but may run nopcommerce in a subdomain and Umbraco as the CMS.

Should be an interesting fact finding and research project even if I don't get the work ;-)

Jay

• Søren Spelling Lund 1797 posts 2786 karma points
    Feb 17, 2011 @ 18:47
    Søren Spelling Lund

I wanted to make and mention that the performance issues Thomas mention were taken care long ago. In fact, uCommerce has continually improved over the past year with more than 60 new features added during 2010. uCommerce 2.0 is on the way and will feature our all new Marketing Foundation for doing site ads, targeted content, vouchers, product discounts, and more.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft