Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 24, 2010 @ 21:20
    Chris McVittie

is there a subscriptions package

Hi, 

I was just wondering if there is a subscriptions package for umbraco?  e.g. where a member (not a user) will subscribe to a section of the site and get an email (or a digest) any time a new page is published.

Or alternatively, if anyone has implemented such a feature and would care to advise on how they did it (e.g. background processing/events), it'd be good to hear that.  (On that subject - are events like Document.AfterPublish processed syncronously to the publish action, or does the "after" mean the publish has happened and the event code will be non-blocking?)

Thanks, 

Chris

• Jamie Howarth 306 posts 773 karma points c-trib
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 00:36
    Jamie Howarth

Hi Chris,

Both BeforePublish and AfterPublish are asynchronous delegate events, IIRC, which would mean that they're non-blocking.

To do a subscriptions package for Umbraco would be possible, however, to the best of my knowledge, no-one's made one yet. However, one of the core team runs a bunch of massive magazine sites so I suspect they may use some kind of subscription handling. I'll ask and get him to post up here if he has a response.

Best,

Benjamin :-)

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 08:27
    Morten Bock

Benjamin, are you shure the are non blocking? You are able to cancel the Publish by setting the e.Cancel to true in the eventargs, so the publishing must be waiting for the events to finish before moving on? At least in version 4.0.3?

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 21:37
    Chris McVittie

I had a look at the source - looks like Morten is right - events are blocking.

protected virtual void FireAfterPublish(PublishEventArgs e)
            {
                if (AfterPublish != null)
                    AfterPublish(this, e);
            }

@Benjamin, thanks for asking the core team member for me.

Cheers

Chris

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 21:46
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Oh they are blocking alright.. I've had plenty of challenges with that recently ;-)

There is no subscriptions package Chris. But maybe you could take advantage of the translations / editor-publisher features?

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2010 @ 00:47
    Morten Bock

You could still write the changes as a task, and then set up a scheduled task to do the actual notification at a given interval. Umbraco has some built in task API, so you might be able to reuse that to mark as open/closed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft