Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 00:07
    Jonas

Using "Members" for the back end

Is is possible to make Umbraco only use one type of users for all functionality - i.e. access to backend and using roles etc. I would like to let the members be the only users and then by using permissions control which of the members are allowed to enter the back end.

I have tried to change the back office membership provider in the umbracoSettings.config file, but this does not work at all. I can log in with the admin, but I cannot create users.

Another solution could be, to make a synchronization job which always kept users/members synchronized, but this will quickly get complicated and messy IMO.

I hope my question makes sense :) I actually want the same functionality as MS Sharepoint where certain users can just click "Edit" on pages they have access to.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 21:36
    Aaron Powell

I don't believe it'd be possible. Members and Users are very different in their underlying structure, in particular Members are highly extensible (they inherit CMSNode, and are very similar to 'pages' in Umbraco) where are Users are very ridged (they don't have extensibility points).

The way I'd go about it is to have an event handler which creates a User when a Member is created, setting their CMS permissions, etc.

Then when they log in just invoke the code which logs in a User (you'd have to look into the source as I don't know what it is off the top of my head :P), essentially doing a single-sign-on process.

• Jonas 10 posts 30 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 23:23
    Jonas

Thanks for the answer. Your method is actually the same as I have thought about (keeping users and members synchonized), but I could imagine it would get pretty messy. But if it is the only option, well I guess I have no choice :)

I heard something about all methods for members would be obsolete when Umbraco v4.2 comes out. Is this true? Then it would be a waste of time making a big system using them.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft