Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Aug 24, 2015 @ 12:15
    Nathan Skidmore

Media Url Alias

I am involved with a project where an upgrade from Umbraco 4 to Umbraco 7 was required. The site needed a complete re-structure of content, therefore we implemented a clean Umbraco 7 build.

The old site had a large number of media items, which were copied into the new file structure, but not as nodes in Umbraco. Therefore these media items are still served by URL, but not through Umbraco. The main reason for this is that many links to these media items have been provided externally and the links need to remain active. To replicate the media items in Umbraco 7 would result in new media id's and the old URLs would fail to work.

The problem I have now is that where old media items need to be updated with new versions, we cannot do it without accessing the file system on the server. Therefore we would like to be able to create a new media item in Umbraco, with a URL Alias containing the old media URL. Therefore all traffic to the old link will serve the new media item. I know you can do this for Content with the umbracoUrlAlias field, however this doesn't work for media.

What would be the best approach to achieve this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft