Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 16:42
    Robert J. Bullock

Dropdown List with Editable Values

Has anyone created a dropdown list where you can edit the value field?

I am importing data from an external database with simple lookup columns that I'd like to map to a dropdown list, but I can't control the value of the prevalue list.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 17:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Robert,

Take a look at Dirk's CodePicker data-type.  It will let you use the values directly from your database. No need to add via PreValues!

http://www.netaddicts.be/articles/codepicker-a-custom-datatype.aspx

Good luck, Lee.

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Feb 10, 2010 @ 17:46
    Robert J. Bullock

I'm aware of that approach, but what I want is a dropdown picker in Umbraco editable values and no external database. I want to get rid of the external database, let's put it that way.

I'll examine how Umbraco stores the prevalues. Maybe I can edit the value directly. 

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Sep 23, 2011 @ 16:27
    jaygreasley

Hey,

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I want the same thing as my database that will contain the lookup values is behind a DMZ else I'd use www.netaddicts.be/.../...er-a-custom-datatype.aspx 

or http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/dropdown-with-sql-source

tia

Jay

• Nick 101 posts 123 karma points
    Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:20
    Nick

My approach was to use a custom control with a custom values editor setting that contains my text/value pairs.

Not the best but it does the job. Very surprised no proper solution exists for this! 

• Karen Worth 47 posts 140 karma points
    Jun 14, 2022 @ 08:18
    Karen Worth

I've come up against this again in Umbraco 8 Forms. My task is to create a frontend drop-down list control of department names with editable prevalues that allow the user to associate email addresses (email, cc, bcc) with the drop-down list items, so that in the workflow we can send relevant emails to the user selected departments. I've done it, but only by hard-coding the department options for the drop down list. (and then additional text fields for the user to input associated email addresses).
    Ideally though the cms user should be able to add (or remove) department options in the prevalue editor but can't find the relevant Umbraco settings view so that we get the following control in the Form prevalues:

Editable Options

however I can't find the settings view that delivers the above and using ~\App_Plugins\UmbracoForms\Backoffice\Common\SettingTypes\dropdownlist.html (because it's reasonable to assume that the Umbraco uses the same named prevalue source file as the control name, yes?) just gives us:

umbraco dropdownlist

I tried referencing ~\App_Plugins\UmbracoForms\Directives\umb-forms-prevalue-editor.html (which appears correctly (like top image) but the [ADD] button doesn't work, copying the file into the Backoffice/common/settings/ folder doesn't work and hunting out the umbraco code that appears to service this control (and attempting to reuse it) also hasn't worked.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft