Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James Strugnell 84 posts 192 karma points
    Sep 15, 2015 @ 14:26
    James Strugnell

Azure AD Authentication and Office 365 APIs

Hi,

I'm in the initial stages (research) of building an intranet style portal/hub built on Umbraco. A key requirement for the portal is integration with Office 365 so I'm looking into how users can authenticate into the portal front-end using their Office 365 credentials. Under the hood Office 365 is using Azure AD and I can see several packages that claim to help enable this integration but I'm fairly new to this and am hoping someone out there may have done this sort of thing before? I've seen mention that V7.3 will come with native support for ASP.Net Identity, although that seems to be talking solely about the back-office.

Essentially I'm looking to configure Umbraco so that front-end "Members" and "Back-Office Users" can both log in using their Azure AD identity. Ideally we would also enable standard (database) User accounts for Back-Office access too. Once the member is authenticated we will then be calling out to the Office 365 APIs using the logged-in credentials and pulling down their data.

Has anybody done this before or know which combination of versions and packages is required to get this to work? It would be nice just to get it confirmed that it's possible.

Many thanks, James.

Nov 09, 2015 @ 21:40
    James Strugnell

Bump...

• Chris Roberts 74 posts 106 karma points c-trib
    Nov 22, 2016 @ 11:07
    Chris Roberts

Hi James,

We're about to embark on a project pretty much identical to this.

How did you get on? Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Nov 22, 2016 @ 13:45
    James Strugnell

Hi Chris,

This never really got off the ground. We did enable logging in to the front-end with the Office 365 credentials but I struggle to recall all that that involved. I think we were bypassing the Umbraco Membership functionality though.

I don't really have the time to revisit this I'm afraid. I would hope there's some good guidance elsewhere for this sort of thing by now?

James.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft