Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• KHALL 5 posts 75 karma points
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 15:28
    KHALL

E-commerce solution for existing site

I have inherited a B2B Umbraco website which is set up to sell products - except there is currently no online payment system.

This is because there is a very complex pricing structure which needs some manual input into.

So a customer chooses a product, selects the options, essentially adds products to a basket, and then the request is submitted to a member of staff, who manually calculates and provides a quote.

We are trying to implement an automated process which allows for the calculation of product costs, plus a payment gateway.

We need therefore: - a way to create a complex cost calculator based on the options for different products and product uses - a solution for taking online payments

Being new to Umbraco, I wondered if there were any suggestions?

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Sep 16, 2015 @ 16:31
    Jason Prothero

Is the current e-commerce solution built using a package such as uCommerce, TeaCommerce, etc? Or is it a custom build?

Sep 22, 2015 @ 09:17
    KHALL

Not sure, I will find out - thanks for the reply.

Sep 23, 2015 @ 07:56
    KHALL

It's a custom build using Umbraco v6.Hope that helps!

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Sep 23, 2015 @ 16:50
    Jason Prothero

Given there is a customer calculation involved in the process, my guess is that making a custom checkout process may be the best way forward. My guess is forcing the custom calculations into a "shopping cart / ecommerce" package may be about the same amount of work. However, you could ping then and see if they have any advice (Merchello, uCommerce, Tea Commerce, etc).

As long as you are familiar with ASP.NET MVC and payment gateways, it shouldn't be too bad. If you don't have any experience with Umbraco, I would recommend buying a month of Umbraco.tv and review that to get a good intro to how things work. Taking a training wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Other than that if you can get your questions here to something a little more focused and less specific, there are some really smart and friendly people who will help.

Good luck!

Sep 30, 2015 @ 09:21
    KHALL

Thanks so much Jason, that's a good place to start.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft