Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erik Sargent 2 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 16, 2015 @ 19:25
    Erik Sargent

Best Practice for Visual Studio - structure and online build

New to Umbraco: Looking for info on best way to structure the project/solution in VS as well as the best way to do CI builds in VS online/TFS as the source repository with Azure as the host. This includes managing nuget packages.

http://blog.iqit.dk/2013/11/using-package-restore-in-umbraco-projects

This post seems to be the best I can find and I think will work, but given that it is two years old, umbraco 6, and CVS it seemed worth asking what others were doing first.

I also see a number of posts with fragmented advice around like don't include the install folder when you publish and don't include App_Data except for access.config and umbraco.config. Am I missing a page in the official documentation? It seems like all the information is out there, but I'm just not seeing it organized in a single place.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 16, 2015 @ 21:01
    Nicholas Westby

Would be nice if they'd add some documentation regarding different deployment scenarios. My company typically does Git deployments (basically, commit the binaries and git pull on the production server).

Keep in mind that if you do figure this out, you can always submit a pull request to add the documentation (the documentation, like Umbraco itself, is open source).

You could also submit a request on issues.umbraco.org to request that they document how to do CI/CD.

With regard to some of the specific things you mentioned:

• Configs. I would not deploy access.config or umbraco.config, as those are environment-specific. The first contains public access information (e.g., which nodes require member login) and the second contains a cache of the site's content. However, some things (like the packages folder) should be included in the App_Data folder during deployments.
    • Install. IIRC, the latest version of Umbraco no longer contains an install folder, so deleting it should no longer be necessary.
    • Azure. Note that Umbraco now offers UaaS (basically, they host Umbraco on Azure for you). With regard to deployment and UaaS, you can read that here (supposing you are interested): https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Umbraco-as-a-Service/Deployment/
  • Norbert Haberl 32 posts 115 karma points
    Sep 01, 2016 @ 08:15
    Norbert Haberl

Would be of great value to get some information about what to deploy!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft