Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• atze187 160 posts 215 karma points
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 13:53
    atze187

Custom trees, custom menus and Letter property

Hi,

when implementing the IAction interface to extend a custom trees menu there is a property called "Letter", which according to part 4 of the custom trees video from umbraco.tv needs to be unique. Is there an overview of all the reserved letters that cannot be used for custom menu items?

André

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 13:57
    Dirk De Grave

AFAIK, there's no overview of (non) available letters, unless you look into the source and check them all... If you do, please be so kind to list them in the wiki? 

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Richard Soeteman 4036 posts 12863 karma points MVP
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 14:09
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

There is no list of all reserved letters. And even if there is it's not 100% sure that it isn't used. Somebody can use it in a package and then if you use the same letter for a custom action in that site it wil still break the tree.

What i would do is to find some obscure unicode char and use that one.

Cheers,

Richard

Feb 22, 2010 @ 14:36
    atze187

Updated the wiki at http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/backoffice-apis/tree-api---to-create-custom-treesapplications with those IAction instances I found (actually it was this page that told me that Letter needs to unique, not the mentioned video at umbraco.tv).

@Richard: That came to my mind as well, so anybody knows a) why it is necessary at all and b) if it is necessary, why it is a letter and not a more unique type as a guid (I am aware that guids are not necessarily unique at all, but a char for this is quite lousy)? Core team please.

André

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Feb 22, 2010 @ 23:04
    Aaron Powell

Having 2 with the same letter is only likely to be a problem if you have them both used in the same tree.

The Letter property is one of those "special" sections of Umbraco :P

Feb 22, 2010 @ 23:58
    atze187

@slace: When I inherit from BaseTree, clear the menu, and finally register my menu entries, how come they are invoked? I have used just some letters that came to me initially, which were actually firing up package or export actions, which was quite confusing...

I just figured the most inspiring reply to this is from Richard and will be therefore marked as solution ;)

What i would do is to find some obscure unicode char and use that one.

Thumbs up! My deskmate had to laugh out laughtly when he heard this. He is mostly involved into MS CRM customization right now and they temporarily had some similar workarounds.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft