Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damon 217 posts 287 karma points
    Jan 26, 2016 @ 23:13
    Damon

Advice how to implement content expiry notifications

Hi,

we want to implement some content expiry notifications that will fire off emails to certain users when published content reaches a certain age, e.g 6 months and then 7 months.

Can someone please point me in a good direction of how to achieve this in an efficient way,

Thanks a lot!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 08:55
    Ismail Mayat

Damon,

I did this a long time ago with older Umbraco version see https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/cogworks-cogpagereview/ there is link to source code as well, as I say its umbraco<7 so you may have to fiddle with it a bit however you can see how I did it including firing out emails.

Regards

Ismail

Jan 27, 2016 @ 08:59
    Ismail Mayat

Damon,

This is more recent code where the searching for expired content is via lucene instead of xml https://bitbucket.org/thecogworks/page-review/overview again its

Regards

Ismail

• Damon 217 posts 287 karma points
    Jan 27, 2016 @ 10:37
    Damon

HI Ismail,

thanks for that, I will look into this.

An overview question though please - how do you get the code to run regularly so it auto checks and reports back, won't it have to run everyday to check what content has expired, or does your methods only run when your custom page is opened?

Thanks a lot

Jan 27, 2016 @ 11:40
    Ismail Mayat

Damon,

You need to write a scheduled task to call the end point you can either do it with umbraco task scheduler you can setup in umbracoSettings.config file however i would recommend using windows task scheduler to call the end point.

The umbraco scheduler is tied in with .net website and if site is inactive that scheduler will be inactive and you will get sporadic executions. Use windows scheduler as that is consistent in execution.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft