Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Lorentzen 85 posts 174 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:07
    Tony Lorentzen

Shadow pages

Hi everyone,

I just started development on my first Umbraco project. Yay!

I'm a certified Sitecore and Composite CMS developer and have been working with those systems for years, but finally took the step to move to Umbraco. Being a freelancer and selfemployed - I often tend to land projects that are not as huge as some of the previous projects I've been working on at webagencies. For these projects having something like Umbraco is awesome :-)

Anyway - I'm looking for a feature in the system that I've had in other systems and really liked. So I'm wondering if anyone else know of a module or have extended in a way similar to what I'm looking for.

Basically - the feature is generally called "shadow pages" and gives you the oportunity to have the same page at more than one location in the sitemap. Obviously one of them have to be the "master" page that controls the others, but my client would like the ability to add a certain page at 3 or 4 different locations on the site, but only have to keep one of them updated.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Best,

Tony

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 13:17
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Tony, welcome to Our Umbraco!

If you want the same page (content) accessible from multiple URLs, you can use the "umbracoUrlAlias" to handle those.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracourlalias

If you want actual "physical" pages/nodes, then you can create the extra pages and use the "umbracoInternalRedirectId" property to pull the content from the "master" content page/node.

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracointernalredirectid

Remember that for SEO, you'll be penalised for having duplicate content by the search engine. (i.e. same content different URLs).

Thus why I released the 301 Moved Permanently package (404 handler).

Cheers, Lee.

• Ben Norman 167 posts 276 karma points
    Nov 25, 2011 @ 06:03
    Ben Norman

I added a Content Picker property with the alias umbracoInternalRedirectId to a page and updated page a attribute to point to page b.

Then I added the following line to the head of my template in a razor macro and I don't have to worry about duplicate content any more.

<link href="@Model.Url" rel="canonical" />

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft