Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Markus Johansson 1902 posts 5706 karma points MVP c-trib
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 13:08
    Markus Johansson

E-commerce with custom features

Hi!

I’m helping a friend with a project where we need an e-commerce solution. Everything is quite straight forward except one feature that they would like to have.

Let’s look at the feature as if we were to order a kitchen countertop but with custom dimensions. So let’s say that we have a marbel, oak and a laminate-version. Each one of them could be seen as a product and they all have a price per square-feet/meter but – is there any Umbraco e-commerce solution that would allow me to fetch the “ground price per square feet”, calculate the width/depth and then add this as a new item in the cart?

I know that TeaCommerce has a javascript API and that uWebshop also have some mechanism for custom data – anyone know if Merchello would be able to handle this?

Thanks for all the help!

• Søren Spelling Lund 1797 posts 2786 karma points
    Feb 25, 2016 @ 13:06
    Søren Spelling Lund

Hi Markus,

uCommerce for Umbraco will certainly do that for you.

The trick is to store your prices in the lowest price per square-centimeter (or millimeter if necessary) and then do the calculation in meters/feet based on inputs from the customer.

The way uCommerce supports this is by leeting you supply a final price on individual order lines, which would be the result of your calculation.

You have a couple of different of options when it comes to where to do the calculations. I would place them in a pipeline myself in addition to leveraging them in the front-end to provide the customer with a price as they enter the dimensions required.

In addition, the supplied dimensions can be stored on the order line as these will be important later on when the order needs to be fulfilled. You can achieve this by using Dynamic Order Properties.

If you have any questions or would like a walkthrough of how this could be done, please let me know via email at ssl AT ucommerce DOT net.

I'd be happy to set up an online Q&A for you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft