Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex 35 posts 55 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 08:38
    Alex

How long does it take to build a site using Umbraco?

I'm .net developer learning Umbraco. I need to build a small website (about 10 pages). I know that there is no definite answer but, in _your_ opinion, how long will it take to build a small website using Umbraco? 

My project manager wants to know it at least approximately. Thanks guys.

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 10:02
    Simon Justesen

Difficult to say, because it depends on a lot of factors, i'd say that it takes longer time to plan the layout on paper, than it does to implement it (custom user controls etc. excluded). But if the layout is relatively simple, you should be up and running in a matter of a few hours, especially if you take a look at the tutorial video and spend some time reading the wiki.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Off course it also depends on the functionality yoiu want to build into it and how much should be possible to control in Umbraco. But I agree with Simon here. From what you're writing the most time-consuming task appears to be the templating from psd to html/css. So I would also think the implementation part would only take a few hours in this case.

Maybe you can use the runway or CWS package and just change the layout...then you're up and running in no time! :-)

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Maybe this can be of help to you http://www.nibble.be/?p=40

It contains links to many interesting topics when working with Umbraco.

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 18:05
    bob baty-barr

i have given a presentation where i went from creating a simple xhtml/css layout complete with graphics, creation of docTypes, templates and some basic content in less than 2 hours -- without using ANY Packages.

i have walked someone through building a simple site via chat in less than an hour...

so, site creation can be really quick with umbraco.

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 20:00
    Paul Blair

it depends where you strengths are as well. For me design takes me a lot longer than anything else. If I was given the HTML/CSS/site images I would feel comfortable getting a new Umbraco set up and working in under 1/2 day

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 00:31
    Jason Prothero

Not all 10 page sites are created equal :).  If its simply a bunch page pages with text/images, then yes it should be pretty simple/fast.  If time to implement is an issue then start with CWS or just bite the bullet and get an umbraco.tv subscription.  That will get you going and up to speed fast.

If there is anything that might be tricky or you're not sure how to do it, post again and I'm sure you'll get some help to get going in the right direction.

• Alex 35 posts 55 karma points
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 01:22
    Alex

Than you guys! This sounds good to me :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft