Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 16:37
    Laurence Gillian

Email Address Protection

Hello,

A normal practice for us would be character encoding email addresses if there is a specific reason post an email address on a website when a form won't suffice.

However TinyMCE is a bit too clever and coverts the encoding back into its correct symbols!

How are other people protecting email addresses in Umbraco? It would be pretty handy if out of the box Umbraco offered some kind of protection of email addresses, as editors are sometimes going to place email addresses into body without relalising the potential hazards.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Laurie

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 16:57
    dandrayne

We've pretty much given up on encoding email addresses, as it's never been proven to effectively reduce spam.  If it can be read/deciphered by code then spammers can surely harvest the addresses?  Other techniques such as using images bring usability downsides that outwight any anti-spam benefits and most techniques have been around for years so spammers have had plenty of chances to catch up.  Here's a recent question from stackoverflow -> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/563571/does-html-encoding-a-mailto-tag-stop-spammers.

The answer seems to always be "it may reduce it, for now...".  With this in mind it has to be asked if the effort taken to encode addresses is worth the payoff for "reduced" spam.  If even one or two spambots can get your address, sooner or later more will.

We always tell our clients to expect spam, and to invest in a good spam filter.  This is the only surefire way as far as I can see it, as you must expect that any email address you put online will be harvested eventually.

Dan

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 18:15
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Laurence,

I've used SafeMailLink (HttpModule) for a few of my clients.  It's easy to install/set-up, (it's a HttpModule in the Web.config), and will convert all mailto links to JavaScript encoded versions. (Using a regular expression on the Response.OutputStream).

Like Dan says, its difficult to know how effective these anti-spam encodings are ... but if its peace of mind for your clients, then so be it!

Good luck, Lee.

Jul 28, 2010 @ 12:39
    Laurence Gillian

Hi Lee, I don't suppose you have an updated link for the above resource? Thanks! Laurie

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 12:53
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Laurence,

Morten has a version of the code on his blog.

http://www.mortenbock.dk/blog/2007/06/18/protect-e-mail-links-in-umbraco-v3.aspx

If that doesn't work, just google around for "SafeMailLink" - if you can't find anything, let me know - I'll dig out my code.

Cheers, Lee.

Jul 28, 2010 @ 13:10
    Laurence Gillian

Hmm, doesn't seem to be doing anything nor throwing any errors! Hmm. 

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 13:38
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Laurence

Are you using 4.5? You may want to add a handler to the configuration/system.webServer/handler section of your web.config aswell.

Matt

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 28, 2010 @ 13:58
    Ismail Mayat

Laurance,

If you need the source for safelink you can get it from here http://www.box.net/shared/4094fatkt3

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Nov 23, 2010 @ 14:35
    Gordon Saxby

I have a version of SafeMailLink available here http://www.gordonsaxby.me.uk/umbraco-stuff.aspx (sorry about the state of that website!!)

I have just tried it for the first time on a v4.5 site and it appears to work OK. As per Matt's comment above (almost), you need to add the following -

<remove name="SafeMailLinkModule" />

and

<add name="SafeMailLinkModule" type="SafeMailLink.SafeMailLinkModule" />

to the configuration / system.webServer / modules section of the web.config.

As as been said above, this is in no way a guard against getting spam but it may help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft