Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erik Ernst 70 posts 90 karma points
    Mar 15, 2010 @ 23:39
    Erik Ernst

How to do this?

In my quest to create a rather simple job database inside Umbraco, then I need to add additional description to my members.

The one way I'm thinking right now is:

1) I need to be able to add "sub-nodes" under each member.

2) The definition of each "sub-node" type can be described using a "standard" document type.

3) The "member content nodes" are not to be published directly, as most would combine several sub nodes into one pages (like a list of previous jobs). I'm imagine that they would better be used together with XSLT macro's.

But is that actually possible? And if yes, can I do it with the current structure, or what do I need to add?

Rgds,
    Erik

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2010 @ 00:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Erik

Not sure if I can answer all of your questions - But to be able to add sub-nodes under each member you will have to make some kind of relation from your members to a member-section in your content tree I believe.

Are you sure it's not enough to define som properties on each member?

If so...

Then I believe your approach would be to create a member-section in your content-tree where you can then add your subpages. You could create an event handler, that automatically creates a member and the need sub-node structure in the content tree when you add a member to the member section. In that way you can keep the username/password stuff in the member-section and just make a field in your content tree where you save the member id.

I'm thinking the structure in the content-tree would look something like this...

members
       - member-name
         - sub-node
         - sub-node
       - member-name
         - sub-node
         - sub-node
       Etc.

Then I guess it should be possible to accomplish what you're asking for.

If I have understood your post correctly this should account for questions 1 and 2.

For number 3 I guess it should be possible to do that using XSLT.

I'm noget saying it's ideal but I'm saying it should be possible using this approach. But there are probably others in here who might have an even better solution :-)

hth

/Jan

Mar 28, 2010 @ 17:05
    Erik Ernst

Hi Jan,

Thank you! :)

I would say this is exactly what I'm looking for. The only "issue" as I see it is really that it should be possible to attach different sub-node (document-)types to each member based upon the member type. Or alternatively it should be added automatically when adding a new member.

Can you maybe guide me a little more in the right directions in terms of actually creating this?

Erik

• Kevin Farrow 46 posts 67 karma points
    Mar 28, 2010 @ 21:05
    Kevin Farrow

Hi Erik

You can also add additional information against each member by:

1. Create a new member type e.g. 'Employee'

2. Create a new Tab e.g. 'Job information'

3. Add new Generic Properties properties to that Tab e.g. Job Title, Job Description etc.

Then whenever you create a new member, select the 'Employee' member type. When you edit members you can add the additional information in the 'Job Information' tab and access the properties through XSLT or the umbraco API library.

Hope that helps..... RDNZL

Mar 28, 2010 @ 23:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ernst

I think you can handle that by creating two different member types (for instance "employee" and "employer" and then in your content tree make it possible to create either a document type of "employee" or "employer", beneath those you can setup your document type structure to be different from one another.

I hope this makes sense?

/Jan

• Daniel Horn 319 posts 344 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 00:46
    Daniel Horn

Who are going to enter that content data? Maybe you should try out doc2form or contour?

Just an idea :-)

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 08:37
    Petr Snobelt

You can try use RCC on your member - it works as subnodes.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/repeatable-custom-content

Petr

Mar 30, 2010 @ 23:45
    Erik Ernst

Thanks everybody.

@RDNZL: Will that has all ready been done, and it's not really the solution. Some members have 3 previous jobs, some have 30 they want to list. And take my other "feature-data": PRODUCT-EXPERIENCE - here the members needs to be able to enter their experience with different products. And the different options must change. So if a member select that he has experience with PRODUCT AX, then the system must unfold a list of features with PRODUCT AX, where he again must select which of these features/modules he has experience with.

@Jan: Can you explain a bit more what you mean here?

@Daniel: Will this solve my request, or "only" assist the data entry?

@Petr: Looks interesting. I wonder if it will work using the osMemberControls also?

Rgds,

Erik

Mar 30, 2010 @ 23:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ernst

Yes of course.

If you have two different member types I think it should be pretty easy to create some different sub-nodes in the content-tree. Using an event handler on the "afterSave" event you can create either document type "a" or document type "b", dependant on the type of member you have created in the member section.

I hope this makes a bit more sense? :-)

/Jan

Mar 31, 2010 @ 00:00
    Daniel Horn

@Daniel: Will this solve my request, or "only" assist the data entry?

I think it would solve your request, but doc2form is a rather old package afaik - contour is a bit more up to date, but I haven't worked with it - so someone that has should confirm that it would work :-), but i definately think that it would the best solution.

But why do you want the information to be stored in sub nodes ? Why not keep it on the profile and let people log in, enter their additional data and log out again ? :)

Mar 31, 2010 @ 12:02
    Erik Ernst

@Jan: It makes a bit more sense  yes, thank you.

@Daniel: I've taken a look at Contour and it really looks interesting. Even if I'm not going to use it for this part of the project, then at least for my next project, which will be registration of time and expenses online.

As to sub-nodes, then it's because diffent members will a different number of sub-nodes. Like not everyone have the same number of past jobs they want to list or they have different experiences they want to list.

The structure would be something like this

<Member Information (name address phone email etc.)>
             <Past Jobs>
             <Past Jobs>

<Past Jobs>
             <Product Experience>
             <Product Experience>
             <Product Experience>

Mar 31, 2010 @ 12:12
    Daniel Horn

Ah okay, now i get it :-).

Then again, contour might be the way to do it,

1. Member logs in

2. Member creates new job in contour form, this form creates a sub node under the members page

3. Member fills out information to this job, this form puts in information in this sub node

4. Member is happy, we hope :-)

If youre not doing it this way, there will be a lot of administration when the member can't fill in the information themselves?

I have seen this type of site done with doc2form but i think contour is the way to do it now :-)

Mar 31, 2010 @ 12:32
    Erik Ernst

Hey Daniel,

Think this is the right way!

My only question then: How to create this sub node under the member and later displaying/editing it again? Is that an integrated part of Contour or need I to do this in a user control or similar?

Erik

Mar 31, 2010 @ 14:17
    Daniel Horn

You have to do some user control stuff to assign a node to a member and then allow the member to create sub nodes through contour.

The user control stuff i'm not so good at, so i will let someone else give you some advice there :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft