Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Johan Möller 83 posts 137 karma points
    Mar 16, 2010 @ 08:52
    Johan Möller

Adding more functionality to the media section

Hello

I have a client who will be using the media section a bit more then usuall. The Idea is that the client can upload a bunch of images and then tag what products that are shown in the image. This is later used to show the products related to the image next to the image.

Anyhow to make it simple for the client i woud like to use pretty much the same functionality a normal content node has, the ability to publish it. Or change the media nodes icon depending on if the image has tags or not.

2 other things id like to add is: Sorting the media tree by creationdate, automaticly add some of the information the image contains such as date it was taken.

How woud do this as easy as possible. I do not have much experience of creating own sections in Umbraco. I was thinking if i coud somehow just take the source from the media section and add functionality to it and making it a custom section. Woud this be the right way to do it?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2010 @ 09:58
    Dirk De Grave

Johan,

A few ideas to consider:

- batch uploading images: consider using a dashboard control for uploading files, tagging those after upload and creating the necessary media items from there

- sorting: use event handlers that fire for new media items to change the order of media items or build your own loadMedia method (must be configured in database as well then). Adding some info to the media item can also be accomplished using the event model

- Changing media icons: there's different options... use Before/AfterNodeRender to change the default icon based on type of media item, or make sure you've got different media types and have set the icons for each type (for example, create a pdf media type and associate with acrobat icon), or again, write your own loadMedia method to handle all this stuff.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft