Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin 37 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 05, 2010 @ 16:31
    Kevin

How to build a complex CMS?

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:SimSun; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:justify; text-justify:inter-ideograph; mso-pagination:none; font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:; mso-font-kerning:1.0pt;} /* Page Definitions */ @page {mso-page-border-surround-header:no; mso-page-border-surround-footer:no;} @page Section1 {size:612.1pt 792.1pt; margin:1.0cm 1.0cm 1.0cm 1.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0; layout-grid:15.6pt;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I want to build a big website with CMS. Articles are classified with classes and subclasses. Every class or subclass has it own recent articles and hot articles. Every article has it related articles. Users can get articles by key words. I have searched the packages of Umbraco but found nothing that can do similar jobs.

I am pretty new to Umbraco. Is there any package that can do this? Or I need to develop the user controls myself?

Thanks advance.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:04
    Aaron Powell

I suggest you purchase an Umbraco.tv subscription, it should get you started on what you need to know.

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:50
    Jason Prothero

Sounds alot like a blog.  Have you installed the blog package?

articles == blog posts

categories == tags

tagging gives you related articles for free

Apr 06, 2010 @ 17:09
    Kevin

Thanks for the reply of slace. I think the Umbraco videos are only about the basic knowledge of how to use Umbraco. I am an ASP.NET developer and I am evaluating the wordload of developing I need.

Apr 06, 2010 @ 17:12
    Kevin

Thanks for the reply of Jason Prothero. I felt the blog could be a good choice for me. The blog looks like the blog of WordPress and the function is strong and much better the blog of DNN. I will do more research on it and see how I set related articles by tags.

Any other suggestion?

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Apr 06, 2010 @ 18:05
    Laurence Gillian

My suggestion would be to setup a couple of test environments, one with the CWS/Blog and then a clean one.

Then start building and playing with the clean environment using the demo site as reference for code/conventions.

What you are talking about is very easily accomplished using, document types and I'm sure you'll be there in no time at all. Lau

Apr 07, 2010 @ 05:25
    Kevin

Thank you Laurence. I am not very clear about your suggestion. Do you mean my job can be easily done if I make some programs work on the Blog? How can I use document types?

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 11:27
    Laurence Gillian

I'm saying have a look at the demo packages, and then try and build something.

Umbraco is a framework, its incredibly flexible and you can build very simple or incredibly complex sites using this!

From my personal experience getting it installed, having a play, doing things wrong and learning is a great way to get your head around Umbraco. That was in the days before Umbraco.tv though, for €19 you can't really go wrong and it'll get you up to speed and well as showing you the possibilities in no time at all.

/Lau

Apr 17, 2010 @ 23:42
    Kevin

I found it is not a good idea to use "categories == tags" because categories are supposed to have a clear tree structure and can be used for navigation, but the tags can not be used for a tree navigation. Is it possible to create categories for blogs?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft