Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vineet Kothari 32 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 09, 2010 @ 22:47
    Vineet Kothari

creating a package with database

Hi Umbraco experts,

I am fairly new to umbraco & I like it very much & this is my 1st ASP.NET CMS. I have been familiar with PHP CMS. I like umbraco & how you can make your own user controls & add them without actually knowing the whole design structure of umbraco & getting into the complex code of the CMS.

Let me get to the question. I am planning to develop an extension/package of umbraco as my project in school by creating an invitation portal from where people can invite others for their private/public parties & events.

For that I will have to create some pages such as to create event, modify/edit event, view event & so on. I will also have a database to store the details of events. I wish to user member details & member login as the one provided by umbraco member.

So if anyone can guide me what steps I should follow in oder to develop a package which once installed in a fresh umbraco can shoot up the invitation portal keeping in my I will need few relational database tables to be added in the umbraco database.

I apologize if I have asked a very vague question but experts please do respond as I have to finish this project due pretty soon so wish to finish it in 1-2 weeks of time-frame.

Thanks

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 02:43
    Chris Dunn

Go to the developers section and right click on the Packages node in the tree.  Click create and enter a name for your package.  It will then allow you to select the content nodes, document types, macros, images, scripts you would like to include in your package.  Hit the publish button and a link will display allowing you to download the package locally.  Pretty simple.

For some advanced features take a look at the package actions wiki entry

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/package-actions-reference

To install database tables, you will need to write some custom code which will can be executed after the package is installed.  The package actions tab allows you to specify a "load control after installation".  This will be displayed to the user following installation and you can execute your "install tables" code there.

-Chris

• Vineet Kothari 32 posts 53 karma points
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 04:29
    Vineet Kothari

Thanks Chris, you gave valuable information especially how to bundle a package & the load control after installation feature.

Though I was looking for some guidance in how to start coding the portal application. I know .NET & so I can code to make pages in c# & create user controls (.ascx) but I haven't done any xml coding in xslt so I dont know how I would be able to do that.

I was just looking on how I can start coding the extension something like what libraries to be included and what process should be followed & some tips. I did not find any such documentation which can help a newbie to start developing modules or extensions something like a dummies book for umbraco development. So thought this would be a good place to ask experts like yourself who can guide me into umbraco development.

BTW does the package actions tab accept SQL commands that will create tables & fields in the MSSQl database??
    Also can I get some demo of small packages which adds up some feature or functionality to the website to create a portal for that like creating an e-commerce portal or event publishing portal or social networking.

I apologize for asking too many questions at once.

Thank you so much guys I am looking forward to more replies.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Apr 11, 2010 @ 08:06
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

I'm running the PackageAction Contrib project on Codeplex. Just include the dll in yourpackage and you have much more actions that you can use. One of them is ExecuteSQL that allows you to add tables. You can download a PDF for documentation or check the Umbraco WIKI

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft