Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kevin 37 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 17, 2010 @ 21:07
    Kevin

How can blog show abstract content?

Generally in the browse page blog posts are showed in abstract, but the Blog 4 of the Umbraco show everything of blog posts in the browse page. Does anybody know how to show abstract content in the browse page of Blog 4?

Thanks advance.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 17, 2010 @ 23:03
    Morten Bock

This is a common scenario that usually requires some thought in what exactly you want to achieve. The typical approaches are:

1: Strip the html tags, and truncate the text. Is automatic, but looses images/formating and so on

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/xslt/6522-News-teaser-

2: Create a separate teaser field that is populated manually. Lots of control, but no automation

3: Create a more intelligent truncating function that includes the first x paragraphs, oo similar.

4: Insert some sort of marker in your text (maybe add a <p class="break"> to the 3rd paragraph) to mark where to break, and the split the text when that marker is hit. 

Lots of options, but depends on what you want to do.

• Kevin 37 posts 57 karma points
    Apr 17, 2010 @ 23:59
    Kevin

HI Morten, thanks for your reply. The second option is good for me. I created a new property in the Tab: Content named AbstractText, but will this slow down the Blog List Posts? I am concerning this because the Blog List page and the Blog post page will both retrieve the bodytext and the abstract text.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Apr 19, 2010 @ 05:45
    Morten Bock

No, it will not have any performance effects. Everything is cached in memory, and loaded lightning fast.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft