Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 03:25
    Chad

Archiving old content

I've a request from a client whereby they would like to archive 'expired' content to an archive environment. The details are vague at this point but the gist is that each document would have an 'expiry date' attribute. Any nodes in umbraco that have an expiry date that is say 6 months in the past (for example) would be removed from the main umbraco content tree and put.. 'elsewhere' for archival.

I don't yet know if they need the functionality to be able to restore archived content, or if it just needs to be backed up for business/legal reasons, but I'm not sure about the best way  to tackle this one. Especially if they need to be able to restore it to the live site at a later date. I had considered having a seperate 'archive' node, and unpublishing and moving content there when the appropriate conditions are met, but I'd imagine this customer is going to have quite a lot of content churning over.

Thoughts?

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Apr 23, 2010 @ 03:58
    Paul Blair

Hi Chad,

I have implemented similar process before but using EPiServer rather than Umbraco. The general principle was to set an expiry date on a Node then trap the Nodes unpublish event. If the node meets certain criteria when unpublished (e.g. of a particualr document type or below a certain location) then the document is moved to the archive location and re-published.

I imagine uou could also trap the OnPublish event for certain document types and set the expiry date rather than rely on the user to do so e.g. make all news items have an expiry date of now()+6 months.

Technically all pretty feasable and not too tricky - you just have to work out what the business wants...

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft