Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean Thompson 14 posts 34 karma points
    May 06, 2010 @ 21:21
    Sean Thompson

Umbraco and Content Delivery Networks

We have our site currently running umbraco, and have three sites hosted on one umbraco install, but everything is on one server. We would like to move all site media to our Content Delivery Network, but still need the same functionality of the CMS that allows our editors to upload media. Is it possible (and if so how) to have umbraco run the umbraco site files on our small web hosting server and have the media all point to our server rackspace under the content delivery system. I really have no idea where to start for this, because i know it would involved pointing our XSLT's to look to that CDN server for various media on the site. Is this a simple change or is alot of stuff going to need to be reverse engineered?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2010 @ 00:40
    Aaron Powell

You'd need to modify the way Media works within the CMS. I think someone had put together a package which supports Media somewhere other than the /media folder.

It wouldn't be a trivial task to implement, as you'd have to modify the Media tree in Umbraco to allow you to upload into the CDN, then you would need to have data types which allowed you to connect to it.

May 07, 2010 @ 00:55
    Sean Thompson

Slace,

Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea who had put together that package and/or do you where I could find out some more info on this?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2010 @ 02:04
    Aaron Powell

Your best starting point would probably be the Amazon S3 one - http://our.umbraco.org/projects/amazon-s3-datatype

• Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    May 07, 2010 @ 07:54
    Casey Neehouse

As slace stated, you need a new datatype:  http://amazons3umbraco.codeplex.com/

I also posted this to your other post about the same thing.

Case

• Biagio Paruolo 1597 posts 1828 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2010 @ 09:12
    Biagio Paruolo

Interesting! Could be customized for other CDN or Cloud? Is there source?

May 11, 2010 @ 23:20
    Sean Thompson

Biagio-

I dont know yet. Thats what we are trying to find out. For now, my company has decided to just move to AmazonS3 as the data type is already written. We prefer CloudFiles, but unsure how to connect the two.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft