Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• CarmineXX 10 posts 30 karma points
    May 21, 2010 @ 23:56
    CarmineXX

Develop a site based on various regional subsites

Hi,

I have to develop a website that has to be divided into various regional subsites. To be more precise, the website structure is something like:

National portal
      -> regional portal for Region 1
      -> regional portal for Region 2

etc.

So, there must be various roles (for example, regional administrator, central administrator), where, for example, the regional administrator for Region 1, can admin only his own region, and not the others. Instead, the central administrator can manage all regions, etc.

Is there a simple way to make it using Umbraco CMS? Or, perhaps, are there some extension to achieve this?

Thanks,

• Matt Brailsford 4124 posts 22215 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    May 23, 2010 @ 16:21
    Matt Brailsford

Hey Carmine,

This should be doable out of the box. When creating a user, on the "content channel" tab, you can set the starting content and media nodes for that user. So for the regional admin1, you set their start node to be "Regional portal 1" and they will only be able to edit content from that node on, and for your central administrator, just set it to the root node, and they will be able to edit everything. You can do the same thing in the media section aswell.

Many thanks

Matt

May 23, 2010 @ 16:27
    Matt Brailsford

Ooops, sorry, my bad, it's not the "content channel" tab, its on the fist tab for editng a user.

The 2 fields are:

• Start Node in Content
    • Start Node in Media Library
  • CarmineXX 10 posts 30 karma points
    May 24, 2010 @ 15:04
    CarmineXX

Mhm, this is really interesting; I was instead planning to develop a custom CMS only for that...
    Umbraco would save me a lot of time.

But, If i set the nodes as you said me, then I must add various modules for every node?

For example, ALL regional subsites must have a list of articles, and an home page. The list of articles and the home page have to be the same throughout the site (however, the articles must be filtered by region, so in the node1 only articles for region1 must be displayed, etc.).

How can I achieve this? I must add a new articles module for each region (so, each node?).

May 25, 2010 @ 09:39
    Matt Brailsford

You could do that in a number of ways.

One way might be to create a new "Article" media type with a checkbox list of regions the document is allowed to display on, then in your "Articles List" control simply filter by that value. Or I'm sure there should be a way to do it with permissions. If region 1 articles are only ever displayed in region 1 and there is no crossover, then you could just create an article list in each region, each one holding just the articles for that region.

As I say, you have several options available, but it's definatley doable.

Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft