Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• wilberRivera 24 posts 42 karma points
    May 25, 2010 @ 22:46
    wilberRivera

Request some data user to perform an action

Basicly I don't know how to or where stored the data user, and where can see them but only the admin

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2010 @ 08:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Wilber

when you say user are you then thinking of the users of the umbraco backend? Or are you thinking of users (Members) on the website who have been logged in?

If you are thinking about members the data is stored on the specific member in the member section of Umbraco and you can create custom properties on a member type to suit your needs.

/Jan

May 26, 2010 @ 17:25
    wilberRivera

Hi Jan, the site no have users who have been logged in, everybody can see it, then everybody can insert his own data.

• Bert 128 posts 251 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 17:33
    Bert

There is no 'logged in' part on your site, but you want the user to perform a certain action before he can add data to the site anonymous?

You could implement http://www.captcha.net/

Here is a package :

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/eyecatch-recaptcha-datatype

May 26, 2010 @ 18:21
    wilberRivera

Thanks Bert, but the client sent us a template and no want captcha.

May 26, 2010 @ 22:23
    wilberRivera

the page where the users can insert data is http://vap.kc.studiocom.com/css.aspx, at the top right the first "Download" button, open a popup with the fields, how can I do this? thanks!

May 26, 2010 @ 23:18
    Bert

You do this like in any other website. By Javascript, easiest way to do this is use a libary. Jquery is my prefered choice.

http://jqueryui.com/demos/dialog/#modal-form

May 26, 2010 @ 23:28
    wilberRivera

yes Bert, we are already using this library, but the question is those fields, how they should be stored when the user click in Submit button?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2010 @ 23:53
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Wilber,

So your question seems to be twofold:

• How and where do I store the data in umbraco submitted on the front end website?
    • How to make sure only admins can see those data?

For the first question, there's a couple of options:

• (a) Create new umbraco documents (and store user data specific info as properties of a document). Make sure to have properly setup your document types to be able to create documents using the document api.
    • (b) Make use of Contour, product by umbraco hq, which stores user entered data as records
    • (c) Store data in custom tables (using plain sql) and build a custom section or a dashboard control to show the user entered data

If you only want admins to be able to see what user data has been submitted:

• In case of (a), you can structure your content tree so only admins have access to the entire content tree, whereas other users of the admin backend have only access to a small part of the content tree. Use 'Start Node in Content' settings on user to limit access to only a node and child nodes... It will probably require a restructure of the current content tree, which may not be an option
    • (b) Contour comes with a custom section, and permission can be set on section level, so if only admins are allowed access to the records of user submitted data, only allow admin users access to the custom section
    • (c) Same as (b), permission level can be assigned based on custom section level. A dashboard control tho won't work, unless you put the dashboard control on a section only accessible by admins.

Still have questions. Feel free to ask

Cheers,

/Dirk

May 27, 2010 @ 00:17
    Bert

sorry for the wrong answers, misunderstood the question :)

May 27, 2010 @ 16:23
    wilberRivera

thank Dirk, I will research the options, bert maybe was my error with bad questions.

May 27, 2010 @ 16:42
    wilberRivera

A question, how can I setup the document types to be able to create documents using the document api?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft