Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 17:08
    Pete

Sharing news articles between sections of a site

Say the company your umbraco website represents has several departments, each represented in the primary nav and each having its own colour scheme, etc.

Say I add a news article for one department and tag it as also being relevant to another department, so both departments' news feeds will display it and also clicking on the news article will keep the user within the current department's context (colour scheme, URL).

What is the best way to set this up in umbraco?

Previously I have set up a section at the same level as 'Home' in the content tree and placed shared items (e.g. news articles) in there. This makes them easily shareable but what I've seen of friendly URL handling is UGLY. It also means that anyone who can edit one department's news can edit all departments' news in the CMS.

Alternatively, news articles can be added under the department's node under 'Home' in the content tree. This works very well for friendly URLs for that department but poorly for other departments wanting to reuse the news article in their own section.

Thoughts and experiences? Are there any articles on this? (I couldn't find any)

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 17:34
    Pete

If you structured it in the CMS correctly, I supposed you could use a combination of the section/department name and the friendly url of the article and parse the url when a request is made e.g.

http://www.somedomain.com/sectionname/news-articles/article-name

Use the first part to set the section and colour and the rest to identify the node.

• Bert 128 posts 251 karma points
    May 26, 2010 @ 17:41
    Bert

Your structure

- department
    ---news
    ------newsitem (property: global)

Currently you select every 'newsitem' in 'news' for each 'departmen't, you could easely change that xslt to select the newsitems in under the current 'news'-node, and select the newsitems under the other' news'-nodes if their property is set to global.

Off course if you navigate to a newsitem the url will stil be wrong and you need Pete his solution.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft