Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mounhim Tahtahi 41 posts 62 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 23:23
    Mounhim Tahtahi

Search in Custom Section

Hi,

I have created custom sections using the tutorials and videos. It works like a charm. But now I want to add search capabilities in my section. I'm still thinking about what direction to follow. How I see it, I have two options:

- implement search using sql queries against the table (not my preferred way, since the data expans multiple tables and I want to search in almost all properties). Using fulltextsearch of SQL is difficult, since I have to consider the hosting environment, which I dont know whether FTS is available. Also I want my custom section to work as a package that is database independent.

- Implement search using Lucene.Net. Which I think is preferrable. But I don't know where to start. I have used Lucene.Net like 5 years ago, and I am not sure, if I can use Lucene without interfering with the Lucene implementation in Umbraco, like maybe overwriting the index files or creating an instance of the indexer, which is required to be a singleton as far as I remember.

So, what advice, tips do you have for implementing search in custom sections?

Thank you,

Mounhim

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 08, 2010 @ 01:06
    Aaron Powell

NHibernate has built-in support for Lucene.Net so if you are using that as your ORM then you can easily implement it.

You could conceivably use Examine but if you're not using Umbraco content to store your data you'll need to create the xml yourself and push it into Examine manually

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft