Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mads Krohn 211 posts 504 karma points c-trib
    Mar 14, 2011 @ 22:57
    Mads Krohn

DynamicNodeList.Where marked as private in 4.7final

So, I just upgraded from 4.7RC to 4.7final, and BAM, my site came crashing down.

It seems that the DynamicNodeList.Where, which I use a few places.... is suddently marked as private... Is this intentional? And if so, what should I use instead?

Kind regards
    Mads

• Byron Delgado 47 posts 70 karma points
    Mar 15, 2011 @ 18:38
    Byron Delgado

Same problem here!!

Mar 16, 2011 @ 12:57
    Mads Krohn

Shameless bump

• Alex 78 posts 136 karma points
    Mar 16, 2011 @ 13:39
    Alex

Hi,

Can't test anything at the moment, but a quick look at the source on codeplex shows that it was changed to private to force you to go through the DynamicObjects TryInvokeMember, which is overridden, I assume to better handle the Where's arguments.

Can you provide a code sample of what you are trying to achieve, what are you passing to the Where method?

Mar 16, 2011 @ 16:41
    Mads Krohn

Hi Alex

I also did a quick look, but can't find anything on the subject, could you elaborate on where you found this?

I could provide you with examples, but the most common, I guess, would be @Model.Children.Where("something")

All the examples from the Umbraco blog uses this syntax, so I'm quite puzzled about this.
    Any information you or others could bring to this would be highly appreciated.

Mar 16, 2011 @ 17:11
    Alex

I found it on codeplex by looking at Gareth's (agrath) latest merge here 

You can see by the diff that the scope of Where and OrderBy were both changed to private. Did I see earlier that someone was also having problems with OrderBy on here?

So when you do DynamicNodeList.Where() in theory the TryInvokeMember override should fire with a binder.Name of "Where" which should then (eventually) pass you through to the private Where() Method.

That's my understanding of it anyway, so either the TryInvokeMember isn't firing, or something else is going wrong once you are in it. I don't have a lot of experience with DynamicObject but could it be that because there is already a Where method (even though it is private) that TryInvokeMember doesn't get called? I would have thought the guys would have tested it was working though. Which is why I thought perhaps the parameters you were passing were causing it to try to access the private method. What error message do you get?

Wihtout being able to test (which I can't at the moment) it's hard to help more than that, sorry.

Mar 16, 2011 @ 21:53
    Mads Krohn

Alex, thank you for shedding some light on this.
    Indeed DynamicNodeList.Where() does work as expected as long as everything is dynamic.

Once you start toying around with instances of DynamicNodeList, the Where method though, is kinda missed.
    I do realize I can work directly on the Items collections instead, but it really ain't as pretty. Perhaps I should rethink my approach :)

Mar 17, 2011 @ 09:45
    Alex

Hi Mads, 

Finally was able to test and the following works fine for me.

@using umbraco.MacroEngines;
    @{
      foreach(DynamicNode n in Model.Children.Where("umbracoNaviHide == false"))
      {
        <span>@n.Name</span>
      }

Mar 17, 2011 @ 09:52
    Mads Krohn

Hi Alex

Yes, as I wrote just before, the @Model.Children.Where() approach works just find, as the TryInvokeMember does indeed fire the Where method.
    I was trying to access Where from an instance of DynamicNodeList as such:

var list = new DynamicNodeList();
    list.Where("something");

Which I could not do. Lacking knowledge of the TryInvokeMember method, I simply assumed that the Where method would'nt be available on the dynamic type either, I was wrong :)

Again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Mar 17, 2011 @ 10:15
    Alex

Ah ok, now I am with you. You are right this doesn't work. Perhaps Gareth or someone else can tell us why?

@{
          DynamicNodeList dnl = new DynamicNodeList();
          DynamicNode node = Model.NodeById("1090");
          dnl.Add(node);
          node = Model.NodeById("1091");
          dnl.Add(node);
          foreach(DynamicNode n in dnl.Where("umbracoNaviHide == false"))
          {
            <span>@n.Name</span>
          }
        }

But you can do this, which you have probably already figured out, which may help you out.

@{
          dynamic dnl = new DynamicNodeList();
          DynamicNode node = Model.NodeById("1090");
          dnl.Add(node);
          node = Model.NodeById("1091");
          dnl.Add(node);
          foreach(DynamicNode n in dnl.Where("umbracoNaviHide == false"))
          {
            <span>@n.Name</span>
          }
        }
    Mar 17, 2011 @ 10:25
    Mads Krohn

There are numorous ways to work around it. So far I have simply made a few extension methods which access the DynamycNodeList.Items collection directly like the example below:

var node = new DynamicNode(1090);
    node.GetChildrenAsList.Items.AsQueryable().Where("NodeTypeAlias ==  \"Content\"")

The Where method is really just a wrapper around this functionality anyways :)

Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:00
    Alex

Well at the very least it made me brush up on my knowledge of DynamicObject and dynamic vs var! Good stuff!

Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:15
    Mads Krohn

Hehe same thing here :)

Mar 21, 2011 @ 17:25
    Byron Delgado

What about when there is more than one condition in the lambda predicate? 

This used to work in 4.7RC

var maxLevelForSitemap = 3;

var values = new Dictionary<string,object>();
    values.Add("maxLevelForSitemap", maxLevelForSitemap);

var items = node.Children.Where("umbracoNaviHide != true && level <= maxLevelForSitemap", values)

But after with the 4.7 final version it retuns Error loading Razor Script RecursiveMenu.cshtml Incorrect number of parameters supplied for lambda declaration the only way around I found is

var maxLevelForSitemap = 3;

var values = new Dictionary<string,object>();
    values.Add("maxLevelForSitemap", maxLevelForSitemap);

var items = node.GetChildrenAsList.Where(@"umbracoNaviHide != true").Where(@"level <= maxLevelForSitemap", values);

This is OK, but ideally I would like to use only one Where() statement as before. Any one any idea?

Mar 22, 2011 @ 09:54
    Mads Krohn

Interesting problem.

I havent had the time to properly debug/reflector through the code to get an idea of why this aint working, so any suggestions are welcomed.

Mar 24, 2011 @ 11:01
    Byron Delgado

I though we can see the actual in the codeplex source code browser?

• Gareth Evans 142 posts 334 karma points c-trib
    Mar 25, 2011 @ 22:33
    Gareth Evans

Hi Guys

Yes, I made .OrderBy and .Where private when I implemented InvokeMember, but the .AsQueryable solution is the correct way to approach this, or as you've discovered, make the variable dynamic.

The && issue above will be sorted, I changed the way some properties were accessed in the expression tree and I think that's what broke this and OrderBy

Sorry :)

Mar 26, 2011 @ 00:56
    Mads Krohn

Hey Gareth,

Thank you for replying, good to know the && issue will be fixed! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft