Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Brännmark 226 posts 277 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:51
    Anders Brännmark

Type safety problems

Scenario,

I have a doc type with a property using a UComponents multi picker datatype.

The user is allowed to chosse either zero, one or as many nodes as they want. Data is stored as a csv string.

Following code is used to render a supplementary navigation:

@using umbraco.MacroEngines;
    @inherits umbraco.MacroEngines.DynamicNodeContext
    @{
    var startPage = @Model.AncestorOrSelf(1);
    if( startPage != null && startPage.NodeTypeAlias == "startPage" && startPage.supplementaryNavigation.ToString() != "") {
    @startPage.supplementaryNavigation.GetType().ToString();
    <div class="supplementary-navigation">
    <ul>
    @foreach (var node in @Model.NodeById(startPage.supplementaryNavigation).Where("umbracoNaviHide != true")) {
    if (node.HasAccess) {
    <li><a href="@node.Url">@node.Name</a></li>
    }
    }
    </ul>
    </div>
    }
    }

This all works fine when multiple values are selected as the overload NodeById(list<int>) returning DynamicNodeList is used. But when the user only selectes one item the "Type Safety" feature (Bug) converts my value to a int, the overload function return only a DynamicNode is used, and the foreach loop fails.

Adding code to start testing for which types my value are, is a bad way doing this in razor templates as that adds overhead to really dont belong in a GUI.

The automatic Type Safety function is nice in some cases but very bad in other.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

First of all, this problem is due to the duck typing that's being done, not type safety.

The problem with duck typing is that it can indeed be unreliable in cases like yours. The only workaround that I know, without having to do an if-else statement is just getting the string version and do your own Split on it:

var nav = startPage.GetProperty("supplementaryNavigation").Split(",");

Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:04
    Anders Brännmark

The better solution to workaround this is building my own extensions, ie a function called NodesById that always return a dynamicnodelist.... The best would be if such solution already existed in the core.

But a huge problem is the duck typing. Not ever knowing what the object you have is for datatype depending on a user input, in a presentation layer, OUCH!

Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:10
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Haha, the joys of Dynamic programming! Like everything, with great power come great responsibility. :)

Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:16
    Sebastiaan Janssen

By the way, do check out uQuery, it has extension method that returns nodes as the types that you specify. UQL might also be interesting for you, though it's a lot more dynamic again.

Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:26
    Anders Brännmark

Yeah, but doesnt anyone else than me see that this is a problem? I would have been very fine if the typing of properties and such would have been based on my datatype. Ie using a tetxstring datatype and stored in the db as nvarchar should always be a string, no like in this exampel:

In exampel, in Sweden we can write postal codes like this:

12345 = Truns into a int

123 45 = Turns into a decimal

SE12345 = Turns into a string

And this is all based on what a user that doesnt know a thing about coding, datatypes and such.

Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:34
    Sebastiaan Janssen

There is no good way to do typing based on the datatype as not all of the datatypes (especially the custom ones) have a certain type. Some store data in XML format OR in CSV format depending on the configuration. Some datatypes like True/False and the RTE do get typed this way, but it's not possible to do this for all of them.

Umbraco stores everything as a text string, so the workaround is to always use Model.GetProperty("yourAlias").Value to get the string value. From there you can cast it to whatever you know is the correct type.

Apr 19, 2011 @ 13:40
    Anders Brännmark

Yeah basiclly thats what it should do when its duck typing, as Iproperty.Value is a string, but some how this value is then parsed into what ever it can using the data value. I would have suspected that the problems comes from the "Type Safety" thats explained on this page: http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2011/2/28/umbraco-razor-feature-walkthrough-–-part-3

Yes its a nice feature for booleans like in the example but opens up a can of worms for other types. If all properties are outputed as strings, its up to me as a developer to type it into some other datatype that I want, not something that happens randomly, this allows for better control. As converting from something you dont know vs converting from something you know to another datatype is imho a much better solution, as then its converted when I need it to, else it should be outputted from the razor template as strings.

Call me crazy :)

Apr 20, 2011 @ 14:01
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Certainly not crazy, just a difference of opinion I guess. :-)

I really like that you have the option of using either one of them, even though it's not your preferred notation ("GetProperty").

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft