Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Laurent Lequenne 123 posts 248 karma points
    May 16, 2011 @ 13:45
    Laurent Lequenne

DynamicNode and property caching

I guess it is not ? So if I have some function like

dynamic cpa;  => DynamicNode

if (cpa.ActionHandlers != null && cpa.ActionHandlers.Length > 0) { DoSomething(cpa.ActionHandlers);}

The property ActionHandlers will be parsed 3 times through the XML Node ? And it's thus best to get a local value to work with it ?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 16, 2011 @ 14:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yeah, this is just C#, optimize by first creating a local variable for cpa.ActionHandlers.

May 16, 2011 @ 14:17
    Laurent Lequenne

Yah ! but sometime we are lazy for a small overhead... But if it's not that small, then I guess we definitely go that way ... It will be some more work to go from Umbraco.Linq to DynamicNodes... But seems already to be huge :-)

Remark : It's kind of shame that thing  is not returning always the correct Type for a property, if I enter a integer value in a string field, it returns an integer... But as it can be CSV of integers !

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 16, 2011 @ 14:26
    Sebastiaan Janssen

There's a tradeoff for the dynamic goodness, for sure :-)

If you like linq, make sure to check out UQL, which brings back a lot of linq stuff to Umbraco Razor.

If you want the string back, do something like: @Model.GetProperty("ActionHandlers").Value

May 16, 2011 @ 14:46
    Laurent Lequenne

Umbraco.Linq : I used for my 2 previous project and it's totally not satisfying me ! It's slow, I suspect it gets huge memory load, and  it's not easy to navigate the way I want, and I have often to mix the umbraco.NodeFactory selections with Linq ! And most bad of all, it's not updating his cache when we publish items as long we are using a static instance of the DataContextProvider  => that is the only solution, too not spend huge load time at every request....

So currently I start to use the DynamicNodes within classic ASP.NET, and the few code I already managed seems really more cool to maintain, with less code,  regardless the lack of intellisense it's a true benefit. For the performance I guess that with a better language we can defeats XSLT :-))

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft