Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nate 143 posts 184 karma points
    Jun 21, 2011 @ 18:48
    Nate

Debugging razor in visual studio

I've been able to open my umbraco site in visual studio, attach to process and set a debug point in my .cshtml file.  

My problem is that it takes about 5 minutes for visual studio to load all the symbols before it hits the break point.  Is this normal?  Is there a easier way to do this?

-Nate

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jun 21, 2011 @ 20:02
    Kim Andersen

Hi Nate

Maybe you can use some of the information that Doug has written in his blogpost about getting intellisense and debugging to work properly here. He also made a video about the subject.

Don't know if this can help...

/Kim A

• Nate 143 posts 184 karma points
    Jun 22, 2011 @ 06:04
    Nate

That did help.  I watched doug's video and saw how fast he got the debugging to work.  I then opened just my razor file in visual studio, attached to processed and ran the page.  That hit instantly.  So there must be something wrong with my project.  Not sure what though.  I might be stuck just opening one file at a time.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jun 23, 2011 @ 09:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Your problem is most likely that your harddisk is just too slow and/or you have a limited amount of memory so that the swap file is being accessed while the symbols are being loaded. Also, plugins in Visual Studio (like Resharper) will slow down this process.

I know for a fact that Doug is running on an SSD, and so am I. This makes the process a LOT faster and I'm a much happier developer since I got the SSD, definitely worth the investment.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft