Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• webmonger 130 posts 285 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:21
    webmonger

Switch razor error and red box off

Hi

I would like to switch the razor error reporting off from a website how do you go about doing this?

Cheers

Jon

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Unfortunately, this is the only way:

@{
      try {

Razor stuff 
      }
      catch() { }
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:24
    webmonger

Bummer :(

Should I add this feature to the tracker?

Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't know, it's the same for XSLT right? You probably WANT to know that there's an error else you'll be puzzled as to why content is not showing up.

Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:32
    webmonger

On a production site I would prefer the error to be put in comment tag not in a bright red box with a stupid error no user will ever understand! ;)

Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Just prevent the errors from being able to happen in the first place! ;-) 

But that did just give me a thought, as a hack, you can probably find all elements that have an attribute: style="border: 1px solid #990000;"  and hide set display to none.

Not up to me though, do create the report in Codeplex and let the team decide. 

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:40
    Rodion Novoselov

As a suggestion, may be it could be a good thing just to have some CSS class attached to a generated error div automatically like:

<div style="border: 1px solid #990000" class="umbraco-razor-error">

so that it be always possible just to hide this div from an end-user with simply adding a rule to the css.

Currently the string <div style="border: 1px solid #990000"> is just hardcoded in the sources and there's no way to change it without source code modification.

Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:46
    webmonger

Yeah my sugestion would be to have a class on the error so at least i can choose to display it or not :)

I do like the ide of stopping them happening but sometime it's not that easy.

Nov 18, 2011 @ 14:47
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Personally, I am against hiding errors, you will never know the error exists and if it's in the main menu for example it could take weeks for some site visitor to complain that there's not much content on the site. While, if there's a real and ugly error on the site, people are more likely to contact you about it.

And, even if I was joking above.. you should make sure no errors show up in the first place by creating you macro to be robust. Again, it's much nicer to find these problems early so you can solve them ASAP instead of getting that annoying call weeks later: "This hasn't worked for WEEKS, WTF!?".

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 18, 2011 @ 22:08
    Dan Diplo

I agree with Seb. Hiding errors is the equivalent of an empty Catch block which is considered bad practice. Solve the underlying problem, don't try and cover up the symptons!

The only things I find annoying is that errors in macros are cached like any other content. I've reported this as an issue in Codeplex - please feel free to vote it up :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft