Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1474 posts 3431 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 15:38
    Simon Dingley

Children of Root Node that are of a Specific Document Type

Once again I am being challenged by this Razor malarky! All I want to do is get the first child node under the root that is of a specific document type so that I can list out links to their child pages but no matter what I try the "Enumeration yielded no results"! 

I've tried the following with no success:

@Model.Ancestor().Children.Where("NodeTypeAlias == \"doctypeAlias\"")
    @Model.Ancestor().doctypeAlias
    @Model.Ancestor().Descendants("doctypeAlias")

Am I doing something very obviously wrong?

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 15:44
    Tom Fulton

I'm still learning myself, but I think either of these should work.  I'm not quite sure how Ancestor() works...

@Model.Parent().Textpages
    @Model.AncestorOrSelf("Home").Textpages

-Tom

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 15:44
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You said it yourself, you want the first one.. :-)

@Model.AncestorOrSelf().Children.Where("NodeTypeAlias == \"doctypeAlias\"").First()

Added OrSelf (to make sure that it also works on the root node) and level 1 to make sure you go to the root node. Then added First() in the end to get the first found node. Then you can add .Children to put it in a foreach. 

This is almost the exact example from my Razor Examples project, ContentSubMenu.cshtml if you want to have a look.

Dec 22, 2011 @ 16:34
    Simon Dingley

I should have added that I had already tried

@Model.AncestorOrSelf().Children.Where("NodeTypeAlias == \"doctypeAlias\"")

...which still doesn't return any result. Your example above also returns null :p

Dec 22, 2011 @ 16:41
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Welll ... check the doctypeAlias (casing, spelling). Try without the Where, if you still get null then you've got other problems. ;-)

You are running 4.7.1 (not 4.7.0) right?

Dec 22, 2011 @ 16:48
    Simon Dingley

Yes running 4.7.1, I've even tried copying and pasting the doctype alias from the umbraco.config file to be double sure - I miss XSLT already! I suppose I could try and cheat and use @Model.XPath ?

This is a pretty clean install as it's a new project with only one package so far which is the Char Limit datatype.

@Model.AncestorOrSelf()

The above returns me a DynamicNode as expected and that node is the homepage, however even that shows a Child node count as zero which it isn't. To add to confusion the OOTB Sitemap Razor script works fine so it's not as though the data is not there for whatever reason.

Dec 22, 2011 @ 17:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

How have you determined the childnode count? 

This works for me:

@Model.AncestorOrSelf().Children.Count()

So, if the sitemap works, there must be something wrong in your code, are you sure you're using AncestorOrSelf and not the plural AncestorsOrSelf? 

I'd be happy to look at the entire site if you can zip it up (don't forget the DB, but I think you're using SQL CE, right?).

Dec 22, 2011 @ 17:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ps: no, you're not allowed to cheat with XPath!! ;-)

Dec 22, 2011 @ 17:46
    Simon Dingley

OK so either there is possibly a bug with SQL CE installs or something wasn't very well in my installation however I have sorted it. In case it was an issue with umbraco.config I thought I would try /umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?xml=true and hitting republish entire site however I hit an exception so I deleted umbraco.config, touched the web.config and we're up and running again.

The following examples now work:

@Model.AncestorOrSelf().DocTypeAlias.First()
    @Model.Ancestor().Children.Where("NodeTypeAlias == \"doctypeAlias\"").First()
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 20:23
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ouch! Glad it's working now though, hope it's not a SQL CE bug, 'cause I can't for the life of me think what could've corrupted your umbraco.config so badly.

Dec 22, 2011 @ 22:01
    Simon Dingley

I don't actually think the umbraco.config file was in fact corrupt I think it was out of date. The node that I was trying to get a hold of was not previously in the root and so I suspect that the umbraco.config file was not updated when it was moved. I guess it's possible that it could be related to the issue that I reported on Codeplex but wihtout trawling the source I can't say for sure.

Dec 22, 2011 @ 22:12
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Crap, I do hope it's not a SQL CE issue, I did go through that code a few times and it seemed to be okay, would be great if your were able to repdroduce this though, might be a CE thing after all. Frustrating that CE is just a liiiiittle bit different from SQL proper and spotting errors like these can get tough.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft