Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Doug Robertson 121 posts 154 karma points
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 20:07
    Doug Robertson

Razor based Hello World project for v5.0

Hi,

I am very excited to see Umbraco v5.0 coming together. I am new to Umbraco, but am very experienced in ASP.NET MVC and the Razor syntax.

Currently I am building a new web site that I hope can be built on Umbraco 5.0. I am doing early feasability testing and want to build a small proof of concept site with a few features; Blog pages, News pages, event calendar, etc. The specific pages aren't importiant, but I want to effectively do a Hello, World test on the different features.

Is there any basic projects that show how to do this work in Visual Studio 2010? Any guides that directly apply to what I am doing?

I have been going over the videos and posts I can find, but I am honestly confused about what applies to Umbraco 5.0 and what breaking changes there are from past versions. I am not interested in using/learning XSLT (just no time), just want to use .cshtml pages in my templates and pages.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

• Markus Johansson 1911 posts 5757 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:26
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 21:55
    Doug Robertson

Thanks for the answer Markus.

It gets me about 1/2 way there.  I looked at this and it does allow for me to load the Umbraco v5.0 system up into a Visual Studio project.  That is a good first step, but I am unsure what to do next.  What files need to go where? Is there anything that needs to be done with the package.xml file?  How do I do master pages using just .cshtml pages?

I am hoping to find something for v5.0 similar to uSiteBuilder but specific for Razor only work and Umbraco v5.0.  I realize this may be asking alot, but I am hitting that painful point in the learning process of feeling completely helpless.  There is a lot of documentation and videos for Umbraco but it is very difficult to understand what I need to learn.  Is XSLT required or is that just for old stuff?  What is runway, I see it mentioned, but when I do a search for it I can't seem to find it anywhere.  Is there a basic step by step guide that helps me create a set of templates for the newwest version of Umbraco.  What will work in Umbraco v5.0 and what is going to break?

This is all very hard to absorb for a newbie and I am hoping to be pointed down the first few steps on the path.  A very basic Hello, World level test app would let me get my feet wet and start to make my mistakes and hopefully learn some of this.

And what is runway? Do I need it?

Thanks for the assistance.

Doug

• Richard Boelen 61 posts 153 karma points
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 22:17
    Richard Boelen

Hi Doug,

welcome and I know your pain, diving into Umbraco can be overwhelming at first. But, just play around with the system and you will get up to speed.

To learn all the concepts of Umbraco I recommend version 4.7.1 It's not MVC, but what you want to learn are the CMS concepts.

Runway is a starter package and will show you all the basic concepts used in Umbraco.

XSLT is not required, you can use Razor syntax in 4.7.1. , but this is by no means MVC.  Version 5 will be fully MVC and uses Razor too, no XSLT here (at least not what you want to use).

Best advise I can give, install 4.7.1. and view the videos and repeat the stuff that is show. Takes some time, but after that you can decide if Umbraco is for you.

Cheers, Richard

Jan 10, 2012 @ 02:03
    Doug Robertson

So a quick question to help clarify things.  Will Umbraco 4.7 work with a ASP.NET MVC style web application?  One of the primary reasons for choosing Umbraco is that I have an extensive application developed in ASP.NET MVC 3.  It provides data analysis for Options markets information. 

I need Umbraco to provide all of the other functions;  membership & rights management, Blog, news and general content around the tools.  Will v4.7 be able to effectively do this?  Will v5.0 be better?

I apreciate the guidance.  Right now I have v4.7 set up and I am trying to work my way through.  Hopefully I will get past the feeling of working with a magic black box and get a sense how it all fits together.  This is the downside to having always done everything myself.

Jan 10, 2012 @ 09:21
    Richard Boelen

I think V5 will be a better option once it is finished. Mixing MVC 3 with v4.7 will be a bit troublesome because both use a different Url rewriting/routing mechanism.

On the ontherhand, you can mix MVC 3 with a standard ASPX website. If you get Umbraco to a point where it will ignore some url schemes, you might get you MVC 3 app running. This is by no means standard functionality,

I never tested this in a real situation. I know of people who have mixed nopCommerce with Umbraco, not sure which version those where. nopCommerce is MVC 3 at the moment. You can find some info about it on this forum.

Jan 10, 2012 @ 15:19
    Doug Robertson

Thanks Richard

I think it all comes down to which engine manages what URL.  I don't have an answer on how to deal with this right now, but it seems like it should be a solvable problem.

I am curious if this will just be native in Umbraco 5?  Basicly we would be blending two MVC apps in the same site.  The main reason is that I need to be able to easily get past the cross domain problem with the mix of applications.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Doug

Jan 10, 2012 @ 16:54
    Richard Boelen

In V5 this will be easy. All will be MVC and all Umbraco stuff is handled by mvc Areas, so using your own area or even the root area (not sure about that) should give you no problems.

The plugins (packages) you can use in V5 will become areas at runtime. Very cool and makes writing your own umbraco plugins easy.

Cheers

Jan 10, 2012 @ 16:59
    Doug Robertson

Sounds great to me.  Very much looking for this to go live.

Please send up a flare if there are any good documentation or demos for doing this.

Jan 10, 2012 @ 17:14
    Richard Boelen

keep an eye on the forum...the V5 part: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/umbraco-5-general-discussion

Jan 10, 2012 @ 17:22
  • Soeren Laursen 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 06:43
    Soeren Laursen

Hi Doug

I dont know if you already made a decision on this but it is obviously not relevant now since v5 was terminated. However we recently just created an integration between Nopcommerce 2.5 (MVC) and Umbraco 4.7 and it works fine. Let me know if you want some info on it. [email protected]

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft